LED Ellipsoidals on Monoprice

AlexDonkle

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11505&cs_id=1150504&p_id=612751&seq=1&format=2
proxy.php

Thought people here would find this amusing, the ultra-cheap cable company is now making LED stage lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. While I've ordered many cheap cables and adapters from Monoprice, there's quite the jump from cheap cable to an LED Ellipsoidal.

Maybe they're shooting for the Direct-from-China market? If that's what I was looking for, I'd go with Monoprice hands down over a random Chineese company. Monoprice would add a level of support, and I've never had any trouble with them on that end.

One of my predecessors bought a set of LEDs for uplighting in our banquet rooms. Stage Ape brand. They're terrible. The Monoprice fixtures look fancier and are cheaper than what he spent.

Looks like they currently only have one lens option (26 degree). It does have manual framing shutters, but no gobo slot. It seems to me that a single channel control option would be useful for some of the target market. It will be interesting to hear real world reviews of the quality of light and noise.

I too would love to see a real world shoot out. I've got all sorts of opinions and gut feelings on it- but I'll keep those to myself until I see it in action.

At least with monoprice you've got a company that will do returns and replacements if you have issues.

Looks like they currently only have one lens option (26 degree). It does have manual framing shutters, but no gobo slot. It seems to me that a single channel control option would be useful for some of the target market. It will be interesting to hear real world reviews of the quality of light and noise.

Looking at the photos, it looks to me as if there is a gobo slot and an accessory slot. The lens tube looks like a S4 lens would fit. I think you can run single channel ( the default values on channel 2 and 3 would simply give you no strobe and immediate response on the dimmer curve).

I saw something similar to this at LDI which was made out of plastic. I expect we will see a number of this style fixture ( white LED , inexpensive , looks kind of like a S4 in the front ) in the next few years ( if they ever get serious about the dimmer curve issues )

200-watt LED puts out equivalent of a 750-watt conventional bulb
Bold statement. Not convinced especially at that price point, and with what I've seen from other manufacturers.

If you're looking for a S4 white only replacement and can wait a few months I'd strongly suggest doing so. Especially if you already have S4s in your inventory. :silenced:

Their LED "pars" are pretty nice for the money. I bought one of their rgbaw+uv units to check out, it's a nice fixture. The colors are really good and if you put it in one of their built in dimming modes it's super smooth other than a couple of steps at that 5% range.

I also bought one of their "ultra bright" RGBAW+UV units. I'm in the middle of trying it out next to my fresnels in my blackbox space. I'll say this about it so far- it has a nice wide beam spread, very comparable to my 6 in fresnel flooded, which is great for me in my blackbox. A lot of LED units have a much tighter beam. If you have a larger space this may be too wide spread for you.

I saw something similar to this at LDI which was made out of plastic. I expect we will see a number of this style fixture ( white LED , inexpensive , looks kind of like a S4 in the front ) in the next few years ( if they ever get serious about the dimmer curve issues )

Yeah it really reminds me of the plastic LED ellipsoidal. I can't remember the company name... only that they were from California.

These fixtures from monoprice are labeled "Stage Right". Which is weird as I'm pretty sure they are not made by StageRight or Stage Right Lighting

Ah yes! The Kupo. Weird they don't seem to have it listed on their website.

I've got one of these to play with. A couple quick thoughts. More and possibly some measurement later, probably next week.

The shipping box has check marks for the current 3200K light, as well as 6500K and RGBW versions.

When using the internal dimmer from the built in control panel it appears to be using 12 bit dimming (4096 steps)

The entire front end is plastic including two flat plastic Fresnel lenses. There are lens holder slots at two other positions in the lens tube.

There is no barrel rotation lock and there is a lot of slop to rotate the barrel along the other two axes.

It appears to NOT be video safe. With the dimmer around 75% using an iPhone as a camera I see moving horizontal lines in the light. The lines seemed to exist at several other light levels I checked but appeared not to exist at full.

The back end is huge (much bigger than S4 LED) and made of simple sheet metal. Lots of vents where you can see the heat sink inside so lots of options for dust ingress.

Shutters are black metal, and are in 3 planes

Let me know if you've got any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Philip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back