LED equivalent

David Ashton

Could anyone tell me a LED which is directly equivalent to a 1000 Watt par lamp
And what does it cost?

Here is two solutions:
I don't have any experience with either so don't know how effective they are.
I do know that both are ridiculously expensive, but if there isn't any other way, there you are.

Last edited:
1K PAR64... I'm not aware of anything.
However, if you can settle for lower output, I was pretty impressed with Verbatim's small selection, price, and dimming with standard dimmers. IIRC, under $100 per lamp.
Would require a custom metal adapter ring/retention to reduce PAR64 to 56, but base should remain the same.
Good luck.
Thanks for the tip on these. Where did you buy them for under $100? I would like to get a sample to test as I might have a retrofit project that could use them. Following your link, the specs say it is a PAR56 already.

Since PARs aren't exactly a focussed beam, if you have rigging space, doubling or quadrupling lower output LED fixtures in clusters could work - also more failsafe vs. losing one major fixture.

We have a local electrical supply company that also recommended the Vertbatim for our PAR56's. They brought a demo in, and we liked them enough to swap the over-stage wash in our recital hall.
They're nothing AMAZING, but for the price they are pretty good. No snap on/off, decent dimming curve. Plenty for a recital hall where you just need a decent white wash.

We have a local electrical supply company that also recommended the Vertbatim for our PAR56's. They brought a demo in, and we liked them enough to swap the over-stage wash in our recital hall.
They're nothing AMAZING, but for the price they are pretty good. No snap on/off, decent dimming curve. Plenty for a recital hall where you just need a decent white wash.
What dimmers are you using on the Verbatims, and does one unit by itself dim to blackout correctly? I assume you get a round instead of oval field? How sharp or diffused is the edge and how even is the field? Do you recall the price? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to satisfy my curiosity until I get a reply from a rep firm on dealers that can supply them. One last question... are they the 25 degree 3000K versions?

The oval field is the one detail that I haven't seen in the specs of LED PAR lamps. In some applications, it might be part of the design.

RE the Verbatim PAR56 LED Retrofit lamp mentioned earlier, I obtained a sample to test from one of their distributors.
This was the 25 degree version. Compared it with a 300 watt PAR56 MFL fixture at a local church activity center.
The LED to the eye looked slightly brighter than the incandescent unit and dimmed very smoothly down to about 2 to 3% with the room’s Lightronics AR1202 commercial dimmer cabinet.
It then snapped off to black. Dimming up from blackout, it snapped up to 2-3% then smoothly went to full. It could stay parked at 3% or so without flickering.
I also tested it with an ancient Electro Controls Quad dimmer module and an even older Kleigl R80 dimmer module and it performed similarly. Quite impressive considering it was only a 40 watt load on these 2400 watt dimmer units.
Very good performance for a mains dimmable LED, especially at the price (I was told around $170). Also important....NO FAN.

By eye, the field of light looked far more uniform than the camera shows, which is fairly hot in the center and tapering off toward the edges, although the center area was not very symmetrical. Measured 88.7 FC (about 944 lux) at the brightest part of the beam at a 10' throw.

Interestingly, the unit should react quite well to being used with barn doors, as I tried to shutter it with my arm and got a nice soft-edged cut. The only oddity was in the second photo where it was dimmed down to about 3% and the beam fell apart and you could see the individual LED’s projected on the surface. I only wish it had an oval beam but will experiment with some Rosco Opti-Sculpt.

VerbatimPAR56 front.JPGVerbatimPAR56 rear.JPG100%.JPGApprox 5%.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back