LED Followspot

Altman AFS-500. LED and can throw up to 150', which sounds like more than enough for your space. You can also get a 6 color boomerang to put up front of the unit for custom color/gel. Manual control from the unit or connect to DMX to intensity, color wheel, CTO wheel, and iris control.

Altman AFS-500. LED and can throw up to 150', which sounds like more than enough for your space. You can also get a 6 color boomerang to put up front of the unit for custom color/gel. Manual control from the unit or connect to DMX to intensity, color wheel, CTO wheel, and iris control.

With a 7* minimum zoom, I would think that it's sweet spot would be more like 75', maybe out to 100'. 150' would be way to far away. You would have to choke down on the iris so much that you wouldn't get hardly any light at all out of it even with a full body shot.

With a 7* minimum zoom, I would think that it's sweet spot would be more like 75', maybe out to 100'. 150' would be way to far away. You would have to choke down on the iris so much that you wouldn't get hardly any light at all out of it even with a full body shot.
Nope, it does 75’ just fine. With 11,000lm of output it’s more than bright enough at that range, even if you’re irising all the way down to a headshot only. 7° is fine for a basic full body shot.

That's basically what @techieman33 said, whereas the OP wants to use the spot from twice that distance. Or did you mean it does 150' fine?
75’-150’ is easily within the range of the AFS-500. At 150’ I would question moving up to the brighter AFS-700 taking into consideration of how bright the other fixtures are in the stage wash. If you’re battling 50,000 lumen moving head fixtures it’s safe to say the afs-500 wouldn’t be enough at that distance. It all depends on what other lights are being used in the venue.

The Zot is an excellent direct replacement of a classic Lycian follow spot. Playing around with it on the show floor, it looks and feels like every other Lycian product. And that's a good thing.

The Altman on the other hand is something new. It gives you DMX control of your follow spot's fades, iris, color, a cto wheel, even strobe (these can all be done manually too. Think about how cool it would be to be able to get perfectly synced fades every time because the light board runs them! My impression was it would be a bit more awkward to run it manually, but the DMX control would be amazing. It's plenty bright, I was impressed with the output on the show floor.

As I always say, get demos!

Having never seen pricing for them are the Robert Juliat LED followspots budget busters?

About six years ago, I saw the Canto Astro LED at LDI . Seemed very crude mechanically, with a so-so iris that didn't go all the way closed and some sharp edges on the body. Then I ran into the RVE (French company) "ChaseLED" 350 watt LED followspot which was brighter and had superb mechanics and finish. About $6500 vs $5100 for the Canto.
Brought two of the RVE. https://www.rvetec.com/gb/lighting-fixtures/101-projecteur-chaseled-822.html
I'm not sure of any follow spot of note that has an iris with 100© closure.. or why one would want that. I haven't used either fixture, and probably won't, but this seems like a strange criticism

Having never seen pricing for them are the Robert Juliat LED followspots budget busters?
Yes. RJ>$4k.
I'm not sure of any follow spot of note that has an iris with 100© closure.. or why one would want that.
I believe all models from RJ have fully-closing iris. As for why one would want it, there's nothing (well, few things) worse than a spot that won't get small enough. Except one that won't get large enough.

Last edited:
Yes. RJ>$4k.

I believe all models from RJ have fully-closing iris. As for why one would want it, there's nothing (well, few things) worse than a spot that won't get small enough. Except one that won't get large enough.
Or irises that stick because they've been baked into position... usually closed.

On the subject of irises, I never cease to be amazed that our ancient Silhouette follow spots, which only ever get used outdoors by the sea, don't gum up, despite all the surface corrosion and general gak you get on the lenses from the damp sea air.

Yes. RJ>$4k.

I believe all models from RJ have fully-closing iris.
Based on messing around with them a few minutes at trade shows, I would say that the RJ LED spots, like the Lycian LED spots, have nothing in particular that makes it stand out from the rest of the product line, which is a good thing. It looks and feels like all the other products in the RJ line but it's LED.

Last edited:
A budget of $4k is pretty tight for an LED Followspot.
The Ovation SP-300CW from Chauvet Professional lands in that price range, includes a stand, and a 6 slot Color Boomerang.
Dimming and Iris, and chopper are manual controled.
80' is well within the range for this unit.

Again, see if you can get whichever units fit into your price-range into your space for a shoot-out.

HTH
-F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back