LED Foot Lights

LPdan

We have a theater that wants to replace traditional footlights with LED, and rebuild so that they can be recessed and walked over. These are usually used for curtain warmers and adding some glow under chins.
I know there is a recent post with some suggested fixtures, but I am very interested in using LED tape. I have done several installation projects with tape, and think it would be a good option for cost and being low profile.
Any thoughts on doing something custom like this? Our plan would be to recess them into the stage on an angle, then add removable thick plexiglass or glass plates over pockets.
TIA!

Have a search for "LED channel". It will save you a lot of work. I'm not sure there's much value in installing them on an angle. They are quite omnidirectional. That said, there are corner channels that would do the job for you.

Enttec has one of the most complete offerings of extrusions that I know of. One of these should do the trick

Last edited:
Enttec has one of the most complete offerings of extrusions that I know of one of these should do the trick

I don't want it to sound like I am one-upping you but 1000bulbs.com has a few more options

1000 Bulbs Extrusion

No matter who you go with for the extrusion take careful notice of the width of the LED tape and the width of the mounting position in the extrusion. A lot of the extrusions out there were meant to be used with white LED tape, which can be thinner than an RGB or dual white.

-H

Does the extrusion need to be in free air in order to properly cool the LEDs?

Our standard response is mileage may vary. There are far too many factors.

Indoors or Outdoors?
Ambient temperature?
Operating times?
Operating brightness?

I would say being on an extrusion in an enclosed space will probably be better than on wood in an enclosed space.

-H

LED tape is not a good option. Looking into this myself, engineereed wash light fixtures which are larger in size are able to dissipate heat better in exchange for size in light output. Opinion in how I will be going.

That said, consider the design of the foot light. Did it have a reflector on it which could be restored and re-painted? If so, consider using that reflector in doing what was it's purpose for re-tasking of the light source.

You present a useful concept for foot lights - curtain warmers.... had forgotten that as a defence of them. As opposed to direct LED nodes on the curtain's use the designed reflectors to do this in just re-engineering the LED bar light source to focus to the origional reflector.

I did some tiny architectural coves with this stuff. https://www.flexfireleds.com/categories/LED-Flexible-strips/industrial-series-led-strip-lights/
Over 1000 lumens per foot, it it silly bright. Multi color strips are around 1/4 of that, at best. Many 1/10th!

Multiple runs can get brightness higher without getting near the size of traditional foot lights.

Smooth white surfaces make good diffuse reflectors. Most strips have 120 degree beams, so at least glare control is important.

Washers as spacers at mounting screws can increase airflow. I wouldn't trust adhesives on a moving piece anyway.

I did some tiny architectural coves with this stuff. https://www.flexfireleds.com/categories/LED-Flexible-strips/industrial-series-led-strip-lights/
Over 1000 lumens per foot, it it silly bright. Multi color strips are around 1/4 of that, at best. Many 1/10th!

Multiple runs can get brightness higher without getting near the size of traditional foot lights.

Smooth white surfaces make good diffuse reflectors. Most strips have 120 degree beams, so at least glare control is important.

Washers as spacers at mounting screws can increase airflow. I wouldn't trust adhesives on a moving piece anyway.

That is some impressive LED tape.

LED tape improves year to year. The glue/VHB adhesive and nodes in general... this as with circuit board mounted LED's are not there yet. Fixtures are a little more reliable and plug and play at this point. Goal for me at least is to do some fixture that will reflect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back