LED Fresnel suggestions?

I've installed a couple of the 6" Altman Pegasus fresnels, 3000K white. They are bright and dim very well on DMX. Did not try the mains dimming setting. They are relatively heavy compared to tungsten models.

We've had continuous issues with our 6" Pegasus fresnels. Displays going out or giving error codes, buttons not responding, bad DMX and PowerCon thru ports.
When they work, their light is great. We have and to send 5 back to our local dealer for replacement.

We've had continuous issues with our 6" Pegasus fresnels. Displays going out or giving error codes, buttons not responding, bad DMX and PowerCon thru ports.
When they work, their light is great. We have and to send 5 back to our local dealer for replacement.
You've returned 5 out of how many; 6 or 60 and over what period of time?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

From what I understand, the initial shipment of Pegasus fixtures was prone to issues. Altman repaired the various weak points in the new versions, but of course didn't do any recall.....

Maybe you got some of that initial run?

The install was completed in September 2016. 5 out of 13 total instruments. The fifth just went bad last week and I now have 2 more showing issues bringing the total up to 7.

Is it OK to ask "why LED"? Is it for power, lamp cost, colour mixing, integrated dimming, heat management, architectural use, or some other reason? An HPL fresnel lamped at 375W might be a better choice. At list price you can get 3 or 4 Altman 1K HPLs for the price of 1 Altman Pegasus.

I assume the desire for fresnel is so you can use barndoors, otherwise a PAR-style LED fixture would be adequate and give you more options.

I have a grid full of Martin Rush PARs and love them. A little excessive fan noise, but I tend to find it goes away easy enough. They're a great deal for their color, dimming and they zoom. The zoom is probably my favorite feature.

The noise goes away? The fans become silent after warming up? This is amazing.
Or you become accustomed to it and it becomes part of the 'room tone' in your subconscious mind is probably more likely. Akin to how you're no longer aware of system hiss after the sound check has shifted the threshold of your hearing with 10 minutes of kick drum followed by 10 minutes of rim shots.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Or you become accustomed to it and it becomes part of the 'room tone' in your subconscious mind is probably more likely. Akin to how you're no longer aware of system his after the sound check has shifted the threshold of your hearing with 10 minutes of kick drum followed by 10 minutes of rim shots.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Perhaps but uacceptable in my opinion. I suppose if it's only loud amplified music it's not so bad.

Perhaps but unacceptable in my opinion. I suppose if it's only loud amplified music it's not so bad.

Agreed and definitely unacceptable in a legitimate theatrical environment; I'm only suspecting this is possibly more likely what's occurring in the aforementioned situation.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Thanks all, good stuff. I have no money to spend on these at the moment but am hoping to leverage some money over the next few months. Looking to do some side lighting for dance recitals as well as more light during live theater and music. Yup, barn doors are in my future.

We got good results on this side of world with silverstar frezno ZE-03 over here. Installed a couple of venues and no failure till date. The fan can run a little noisy though but with the brightness output, i think its a reasonable trade off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back