LED Lighting in a set.

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd ask this, since I don't know where to start....
For the play our school is doing - "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson - the director wants to have a plexiglass gazebo with LED lights inside of it. I said, I don't think it can be done, but I'll see. The lights need to be LED because they need to change colors.

Our school has no LEDs, but I would rent whatever equipment (he said he's willing to rent). Provided they are DMX controlled, I would have to run a long DMX through the house to our ETC Express, but it could be done.

I don't know what type of lights to use... It seems like there should be something, but regular stage LED lights wouldn't really work.

Any advice?

Thanks!
lightsandsoundSHS

He wants a whole life size stand under gazebo built out of plexi?

Supported by truss or similar, Yes I do believe he does. I said, all I will do is hook up the lights. He would have to hire people (professionals) to construct it. He would have to pay for it all out of HIS pocket. I'd just like to give him a quote for the lights. And know how to do it from my knowledge.

How much you want to bet that in a few days or weeks someone from Maine will come on here asking about building things out of plexi?

You could try a Blizzard Puck. It has a fairly good reputation for a truss warmer, and may do an adequate job.

I'm not sure his wallet is going to like it either.

I like the idea of uplighting it with RGB cans or pucks, but what about edging the panels in RGB LED tape?

The puck is a great little truss warmer. Compact and bright.

I third the pucks young frankenstein uses them under some of the set to achieve a very interesting look.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I think LED tape might be a better option for this - while LED PARs will also work, they're bulkier and more expensive, and the LED tape is more versatile in that you can easily run it wherever you need it. However, this would be a purchasing idea rather than a rental idea, as LED tape is generally considered a consumable in the rental world. It all comes down to budget and how much time you have. LED tape will probably give you a better overall appearance, but it will take quite a bit longer to set up and requires somewhat more advanced knowledge than just setting up some LED PARs.

...Our school has no LEDs, but I would rent whatever equipment (he said he's willing to rent). Provided they are DMX controlled, I would have to run a long DMX through the house to our ETC Express, but it could be done.
If limiting oneself to rental equipment, one is looking at LED PARs (whatever brand/type the particular rental house prefers); CK ColorBlast or ChromaQ ColorForce; or a striplight variation of the same. All will be DMX-controlled.

I have no idea of lighting rental vendors in Maine; the units may have to come from Boston.

I don't know of anyone that rents LED tape, so price considerations may put that out of your grasp.

Is there anyway you could post a drawing...or some sort of diagram on what this thing is going to look like? That would help us help you much more efficiently. :grin:

What about LED MR16s? I've seen them in action on a show I stage managed, they're definitely available as DMX controllable. Small, pretty bright for the size and easily fitted into the set.

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd ask this, since I don't know where to start....
For the play our school is doing - "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson - the director wants to have a plexiglass gazebo with LED lights inside of it. I said, I don't think it can be done, but I'll see. The lights need to be LED because they need to change colors.

Our school has no LEDs, but I would rent whatever equipment (he said he's willing to rent). Provided they are DMX controlled, I would have to run a long DMX through the house to our ETC Express, but it could be done.

I don't know what type of lights to use... It seems like there should be something, but regular stage LED lights wouldn't really work.

Any advice?

Thanks!
lightsandsoundSHS

Might I suggest our Precision DMX unit? it's very compact (smaller than your fist) and can possibly fit well in your set: Precision DMX compact rgb theatrical wash light

There are a lot of potential solutions, but if you're building into a set you may want to think about Battery operated solutions.
RC4 or RC6 from theatrewireless is one option for your battery packs. Or...

You might want to look at our Satellite system, a compact wireless DMX receiver with a built-in battery pack. It connects to several of our LED pars (SlimPAR 38 would be a good fit here), and would be easily re-used in future productions. Products » Satellite

If your looking for an all-in-one solution, our FreedomStrip, and FreedomPar are also good options, but they have just started shipping, and may be hard to get your hands on. links: Products » Freedom Products » Freedom

HTH,
-Ford

If you are renting then there's no point asking us. You need to be calling your local rental shops to find out what you can rent. Once you have a list of rental products, come back and tell us what's available and we can help you with your plan. Until then we are just playing “name that fixture”.

When the director figures out how much this is going to cost and reality sets in, consider strings of rope lights or Christmas lights in red, green, blue, and white. Put the same color lights all on one circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back