LED Lighting Questions: will these work in our new space?

Dear CB Gurus:

I really need your help. I'm living in Ethiopia so my voltage is 220. I've been asked to offer input on a small assembly area (150 seats) which will serve as an indoor performance space. I know enough to know that I don't really know enough to know if these suggestions are solid. I am accustomed to non-LED lights, so don't have the background to know if these will serve our space well or not.

Would someone be willing to look at the lighting plot provided by the contractor and give a thumbs up or thumbs down for me?

I used ControlBooth when I lived in South Korea and found the members to be so very helpful. Fingers crossed someone has a moment to spare for me once again...

Thank you!

Here are the lights proposed by our general contractor:
Showtec Compact Par 7 Q4 parcan
Showtec Compact Par 7 Tri
Showtec LED Light bar 8
Showtec Compact Par 7x CW/WW
Showtec Performer 60

Dear CB Gurus:

I really need your help. I'm living in Ethiopia so my voltage is 220. I've been asked to offer input on a small assembly area (150 seats) which will serve as an indoor performance space. I know enough to know that I don't really know enough to know if these suggestions are solid. I am accustomed to non-LED lights, so don't have the background to know if these will serve our space well or not.

Would someone be willing to look at the lighting plot provided by the contractor and give a thumbs up or thumbs down for me?

I used ControlBooth when I lived in South Korea and found the members to be so very helpful. Fingers crossed someone has a moment to spare for me once again...

Thank you!

Here are the lights proposed by our general contractor:
Showtec Compact Par 7 Q4 parcan
Showtec Compact Par 7 Tri
Showtec LED Light bar 8
Showtec Compact Par 7x CW/WW
Showtec Performer 60

Attachments

• Lighting Plot.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 263
Heidi,

I'm afraid I'll be of limited help, but I will try! I am not very familiar with Showtec fixtures, but I did a little cursory research. The Q4 is only 50 watts, so it probably won't be great for any significant throw distances. Of the other equipment, I see that there are some warm-white models (WW) - another good thing for front lighting. However, many of these fixtures appear to be tri-color (RGB) only, which is not the best. You really want RGBAW (Red, Green, Blue, Amber, White) for decent color mixing. For front lighting, the tri-models would be nearly useless, but the CW/WW models may be useful.

Unfortunately the plot provided by the contractor is a bit blurry/chicken-scratchy and I can only slightly make sense of it. So, while I can't judge distances or measurements, what they have should light the stage. The question comes down to one of flexibility. Also, why Showtec? Are Elation or Chauvet (assuming this is a budget install) available in Ethiopia?

I mostly agree. Especially on RGB lights, even RGB+white would be a vast improvement.

There is too little light overall and possibly too narrow beam angles on those fixtures. This appears to be a very small space so remember that you are aiming at faces not the floor. That nearly 2M is a big bite out of 3-5M ceiling heights. Try to find the fixture-to-face distance and see what area those fixtures will cover. Allow for lots of overlap between fixtures as you don't want dark areas scattered around the stage.

Thank you, RickR and Les. I so appreciate your feedback. I have shared your information with our Head of School for Operations as he is the one requesting our input. I think your feedback was spot on.

RickR: I may now be a long way from Spokane, but it's near where I grew up. Love Spokane! :)

Having never heard of Showtech, I would encourage you to either spend a little more and move up to Chauvet, Elation, American DJ, or Blizzard. (If you are having a hard time getting Chauvet in Ethiopia I bet @Ford or @Ben Dickmann can help). Or you could move into a well known Chinese OEM manufacturer like Irradiant or Neo-neon.

CB member @BillESC is a dealer who can probably help you purchase several of these products. Start a private conversation with him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back