LED Lighting?

The only dimmable CFL's I have seen are the ones for table lamps and they only compare to a 100w light bulb.

I believe Halogena is a product line name from Phillips. It's a small quartz halogen PAR. MANY high schools out there just have standard household 100 watt bulbs in their strips. Switching to some little Halgenas (I think I put in PAR 20's at about 60 watts at my old school). Will dramatically boost both the quantity of light and the color temperature.

As for if CFL's are dimmable... Everything is dimmable with the right dimmer. My new theater is coming with dimmable CFL house lights. It's a little weird but the light's pretty good actually. It would be a VERY expensive upgrade unless you are already planning on a new dimmer install.

I, at present, hate dimmable CFL's, and not to be a naysayer, Gaff, but no, they are not all dimmable. it's the ballast in the fixture which needs to be dimmable mostly. The lamp must be dimmable ballast compatible as well. We have a new lobby with dimmable CFLs as the main light source from the overhead fixtures. They dim but still cut out at the bottom end. and like all CFL's they take a while to "Heat Up" and provide a decent color. I actually had to go by a roll of 3/4 CTO and line the inside of all the shades < they're translucent white glass> to get a nice feel from them. before they were just too..... Icky.

Halogena is seems refers to Philips entire line of consumer halogen lamps, this being PAR's, standard lamps, decorative lamps, MR16's, T-lamps, all that good stuff. That said, I don't think it would be the best choice to put PAR20's in a reflector-and-roundel striplight. Rather, might something along the lines of this style of halogen lamp be more effective in a reflector-and-roundel striplight?

http://www.servicelighting.com/catalog_product.cfm?prod=AL36822

At 3,000K, wouldn't these be a better alternative to the standard A-lamp? Now, I know you would have to compare and contrast lamp life, lumens and temperature for best results, but it seems like a lamp like this could be an effective alternative.

I work at Lowe's and we have some 200 and 300w utility light bulbs that are type A and I have always thought of those being good reflector-and-roundel strip lamps. Maybe not so much on the 300w, they're almost the size of a mercury vapor lamp. But the 200w are small enough and available in clear or frosted. I would use par lamps for the reflector-less strips. I don't know the model number but I know Altman makes one that can double as a footlight. The roundels go in a gel frame because there is no reflector to hold it in.

Halogena is seems refers to Philips entire line of consumer halogen lamps, this being PAR's, standard lamps, decorative lamps, MR16's, T-lamps, all that good stuff. That said, I don't think it would be the best choice to put PAR20's in a reflector-and-roundel striplight. Rather, might something along the lines of this style of halogen lamp be more effective in a reflector-and-roundel striplight?
http://www.servicelighting.com/catalog_product.cfm?prod=AL36822
At 3,000K, wouldn't these be a better alternative to the standard A-lamp? Now, I know you would have to compare and contrast lamp life, lumens and temperature for best results, but it seems like a lamp like this could be an effective alternative.

I don't know about his situation but my old strips had no reflectors or roundels. They were simply a "silverish" coated box, designed for use with just a household lamp, as they were very small. The PAR 20's were the largest lamp with a reflector that I could barely squeeze into there. The large halogen you linked to is a good option if you had a reflector but since I didn't, I opted for the lower output of the PAR 20, but I finally had a reflector pointing the light out of that stupid little box. I was able to special order them in the right level of spot/flood that fit my space's throw perfectly. It cut the power consumed in half while boosting the light quantity and quality of light.

Van... I still haven't seen my CFL's dim. They are still being installed. I've just seen them turned on at the breaker. They sure light the room up but it is an interesting color temp. Jury's still out on the dimable CFL house lights... give me a month or so.

Gafftaper, well then the PAR20's make perfect sense. So it's like a strip light made of mini - olivettes? Must have be one step above the "open trough" style.

Yeah the one I had was just a series of "semi-shiny" metal chambers no reflector, no lens, about 3"x3", just barely big enough to reach in and screw in a household light bulb. There was a slot for gel frames! REALLY Cheap crap. The ones I had didn't have any visible brand marking even... Had to be purchased when the school was built in the early-60's. About 6' long with four circuits to the strip.

There were actually a bunch of gel frames missing and it was such an odd size my local dealer couldn't find anything that matched. So I had to buy some of those cardboard gel frames and cut them down to fit in a big paper cutter.

I'm sure there's someone on the board who know what they were. If the original thread is about a similar "lighting instrument" the little baby PARS are a huge boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back