Control/Dimming LED lights flicker randomly when used in an effect: ETC CS Console

The show i am providing lighting for calls for 6 LB Par Hex fixtures from Blizzard Lighting for color above the stage. I am controlling them all separately on an ETC Colorsource console. When I run the rainbow effect with any speed and a fan of about 30, some of the lights will flicker off quickly and on, then continue with their pattern. I am controlling these lights through wireless dmx but i have tried running a cable to them and that has not fixed the problem. Any help would be appreciated. The show starts Thursday, August 17th.

Got a video of it. I have one blizzard tough par that adds in an extra strobe in an effect that I am running and it's annoying as heck but nothing I can do besides send the fixture in to get it fixed.

They have great CSR maybe they will send you replacements while they fix the ones you got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried the basics like termination, checking that profiles are correct, etc.

The chain is terminated. The flicker happens mostly when the effect is changing color from purple to blue. The flicker moves through all of the lights as if part of the effect. It seems like a color between purple and blue is causing it. I can share a video of it tomorrow.

I can't wait.

You may want to contact ETC Support. They are always available to help you track down your issue.

Given the description it might have to do with the way the color attributes are fading between levels. The Eos family of consoles allow you to control the color path. Your description suggests the color might be going through "white" to get to the new color instead of just fading the red channel. If you slow down the effect does the "flicker" still happen?

I have worked with several blizzard fixtures, but not this one. My experience has taught me that these fixtures sometimes have weird fade patterns in them. Go through the menus and try a couple of different modes and see if that helps.

Hello,

LEDs have provided some great new challenges. I love them anyway.

This is a different tact. I use many cheaper led fixtures - ah well, you know why - anyway, in EOS I reset the dmx speed to the slowest. That way the LEDs have time to respond. You can try slower or faster changes. Also, don't even begin to talk to the video guy. If you do need to have that discussion with video, then tell them to use PAL settings or change the shutter speed, or to use non-interlaced settings. Ok, maybe that was off topic.

Hello,

LEDs have provided some great new challenges. I love them anyway.

This is a different tact. I use many cheaper led fixtures - ah well, you know why - anyway, in EOS I reset the dmx speed to the slowest. That way the LEDs have time to respond. You can try slower or faster changes. Also, don't even begin to talk to the video guy. If you do need to have that discussion with video, then tell them to use PAL settings or change the shutter speed, or to use non-interlaced settings. Ok, maybe that was off topic.
I have worked with several blizzard fixtures, but not this one. My experience has taught me that these fixtures sometimes have weird fade patterns in them. Go through the menus and try a couple of different modes and see if that helps.

Changing dmx speed did not remove the flicker but it does seem to be less noticable. I accept the fact that it probably is the fade pattern of the budget leds. Thank you for your help!

Sorry I didn't read well enough and thought it simple. Thanks in reading further and deeper in also learning TBD for my own learning some also on the subject.

LED's kicking and screaming into them on my part but necessary for me to learn and apply.

I had a similar experience. With cheep LED(don't know the brand name. Was not my choice..), using wireless DMX & linked with cables(3pin connector).
ETC SmartFade was the controller.
Similar things happened whenever I tried to control through console.

After some trouble shooting, I found that the linked cables have a extra ground + 3 pin.(I guess it was audio cables. As I know some audio cable has those conecting)
After disconnecting the extra ground, the problem was solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back