Automated Fixtures LED Movers - Purchase Advice

Mike52

Hey all, sorry for yet another post on movers. We are picking up 11-13 new profiles and I am looking for experiences/advice with any of the following.

Martin - ERA 600 Profile
Martin - MAC Quantum - We have used and they are solid fixtures, but no CTO or shutters make them less desirable. Having said that, the price is good on these.
Chauvet - Maverick - MK2 Profile - Look good on paper, but any field reports? We have some Rogue R2 Spots and have had a couple of issues after 4 years, but that is to be expected.

Thanks so much!
Mike

Before we closed down we were looking at the Robe Esprites. I know that’s not on your list but having rented them they worked out quite nice for the show we did. Easy to set up.

I would look at the Elation Picasso for white light LED engine. https://www.elationlighting.com/artiste-picasso
I also wouldn't leave out Elation's Fuze Profile. It's an additive engine, so it's not as bright at 500w LED engine products in white, it will BLOW them away the minute you start mixing in that subtractive CMY.
Side by side, the Fuze profile in Blue (Full Cyan, Full Magenta) kills a 600w white engine. https://www.elationlighting.com/fuze-profile
PM me if you need a contact to set up a demo of anything.

I would look at the Elation Picasso for white light LED engine. https://www.elationlighting.com/artiste-picasso
I also wouldn't leave out Elation's Fuze Profile. It's an additive engine, so it's not as bright at 500w LED engine products in white, it will BLOW them away the minute you start mixing in that subtractive CMY.
Side by side, the Fuze profile in Blue (Full Cyan, Full Magenta) kills a 600w white engine. https://www.elationlighting.com/fuze-profile
PM me if you need a contact to set up a demo of anything.
Can I assume from the last line that you are an elation rep? Is there a reason you don't disclose this directly? Or am I misinterpreting it.

@danTt It's not that I am trying to hide who my employer is, I just don't want that to be the only thing people associate me with. My opinions on this site are my own, but when people have a specific question that I can help with because of my job, I will.

@danTt It's not that I am trying to hide who my employer is, I just don't want that to be the only thing people associate me with. My opinions on this site are my own, but when people have a specific question that I can help with because of my job, I will.
Fair enough, though I do think that when recommending products from a company you work for that it's reasonable to expect that you disclose clearly that you work for them.

Thanks for clarifying, and I appreciate it. Will take a look at the fixtures. 👍🏻

I cannot recommend the Elation Fuze Profile enough. I've seen demos of so much of what's out there right now from a bunch of manufacturers, and the Fuze Profile is really an amazing light if you want shutters, super even color mixing, and high CRI. Compact and very, very full featured; and the additive color mixing is great. I will say that the one color it has trouble reaching is a good, primary rock n roll yellow; like from a MAC Viper. I was able to get to all of the other colors I wanted to, including those that CMY systems struggle to make, relatively easily in direct mode (I prefer to do the mint and amber mix myself instead of letting the fixture do it, but you can put it in CMY mode and the fixture will do the math for you).

Ended up picking up 16 of the Elation Fuze Profiles. I did a demo in the space with the Chauvet MK2, Martin Quantum, ERA 600 and the Fuze. Here are the highlights as I saw it (my opinion only).
  • Quantum - I've worked with it a lot. It's great. Excellent Gobo's, Very Bright, Ok colour rendering, good if somewhat limited colour mixing - no shutters.
  • ERA 600 - Really more like a quantum with shutters, tighter zoom, for beam effects, adequate colour rendering/mixing, super bright. With a quieter operation and a better colour rendering, this would have been my pick.
  • Chauvet MK2 - Excellent Colour Rendering/Mixing, not quite as bright as the Martin contenders, ok gobos - VERY noisy movement - wish the silens was available - we might have gone with it.
  • Elation Fuze - The weakest white of the bunch in overall brightness but improves with the addition of colours. SUPERIOR colour rendering with incredibly lifelike skin tones. Superior sound output (this was the quietest fixture in the group by a LONG shot. Since we host a fair number of acoustic productions in the space, this matters). Mediocre Gobos (we will have to switch out a bunch). Excellent fixture features. Solid Shutters. Great Value. Horrible (current) ETC EOS fixture profile.
In the end, the light quality, feature set, and quiet operation made the FUZE the most flexible fixture for the space... and (thought I hate to admit it) its tough to beat the value for the $.
Will post more as we put it through some productions.

Im glad to hear you tried them all side by side. That's the best way to go about it.

Please let us know how the Fuze performs over time! Some firmware updates may come as well to allow for even quieter operation.

I agree that the current EOS profile is not good. the color picker option only utilizes the RGBA colors and completely skips the Mint chip so it essentially renders the function useless. If you are ok with not using direct control (I know advanced users want full control) CMY emulation mode might help, it works very well and allows for better 'color picker' performance. That is why we developed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back