LED Moving head suggestions

Scibby

I'm looking to add 4 moving heads to my school's current rig. Currently we have 10 super bright LED wash lights out the front, which I'm thinking of cutting back to 6, moving 4 of them onto the stage as side/top lights.

I'm after moving head spots with a good selection of colours and gobos, and hopefully with a prism and rotating gobo feature if it can fit in our budget.

What confuses me is trying to figure out how bright my moving heads would need to be to cut through the wash, so that any gobo or beam effects aren't completely washed out. Any ideas what sort of wattage I should be looking at? Or any recommended models that wouldn't be over/under kill?

I've looked at just about every demo video online but it's so hard to tell how bright each light would actually be as part of my rig.

Reactions: Ric
You want to look at the photometric data for the fixtures you have and the fixtures you want.

That will show you the brightness over distance.

This data sheet for a VLX3 shows that data on page two.

http://www.vari-lite.com/clientuploads/directory/downloads/VLX3_Wash_Spec_111312NA.pdf

I'm looking to add 4 moving heads to my school's current rig. Currently we have 10 super bright LED wash lights out the front, which I'm thinking of cutting back to 6, moving 4 of them onto the stage as side/top lights.

I'm after moving head spots with a good selection of colours and gobos, and hopefully with a prism and rotating gobo feature if it can fit in our budget.

What confuses me is trying to figure out how bright my moving heads would need to be to cut through the wash, so that any gobo or beam effects aren't completely washed out. Any ideas what sort of wattage I should be looking at? Or any recommended models that wouldn't be over/under kill?

I've looked at just about every demo video online but it's so hard to tell how bright each light would actually be as part of my rig.

#1 question, what is the budget?
#2 what are the current fixtures?
#3 how big is the space?
LED fixtures can range from cheap generic fixtures with almost no real data available to DJ grade fixtures to lower end pro fixtures to the big dog name brand fixtures.
LED spots with bells and whistles can range from $1,000 to $10,000 each and up.

I absolutely love the Mac Quantum Profiles. Punchy as hell for such a small head. The GLP Impression spot one's are pretty sweet as well.

#1 question, what is the budget?
#2 what are the current fixtures?
#3 how big is the space?
LED fixtures can range from cheap generic fixtures with almost no real data available to DJ grade fixtures to lower end pro fixtures to the big dog name brand fixtures.
LED spots with bells and whistles can range from $1,000 to $10,000 each and up.

Budget would be around $1000 to $2000 per fixture.
Our current fixtures are 18x10 watt quad LED flat pars.
The space is an average school hall, so at a guess the stage is about 10m wide by 5m deep, and the FOH truss is about 3m in front of the stage and 6m up.

The Rogue R2 might be just out of your price range (assume AUD, not USD), but would easily be bright enough in that space.

Last edited:
Reactions: DNT
Unfortunately not, tried to look them up but they weren't listed on the quote. But they are super bright.
They look something like this:

http://www.by-lighting.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=537

So without knowing the specs of the current inventory, it would not be possible to know which other lights would be able to match your current fixtures.

If you had a light meter (or maybe just a silly light meter app) you could measure your lux or fc at a couple of distances and use that number.

Wattage alone has no real relationship to brightness. The construction of the lamp or emitter, its color temp, the fixture's optics, etc. all play a part. This is why, for example, a 575w Source Four is brighter than a 750w 360Q.

As a matter of course, it's good to invest in fixtures that have photometric data. In general, lighting design involves using that math to devise plots.

Whichever fixture you choose in this case should have a make, model, and some photometric data from the manufacturer.

Quite a few people here have experience with the R1 spot, perhaps @soundlight or @Pie4Weebl will chime in.
As always, getting a demo in your space is always best.
The distributor in your area is Showtools International, not far from you.
http://showtools.com.au/
At the very least worth a drive to check them out.

What about the R1?
R1 Spot is about $2400 AUD street price her in oz
We have used them before and they are OK but a little more punch would be nice and a R2 is $3400 AUD
Crispy

I have used Rogue 2 and found them excellent. Plenty of punch and good zoom. They do pop on at low levels, though, so coming from blackout, they come on first. We hired them so I did not have the time to look into the settings to see if I could change the dimming curve. Otherwise an excellent fixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back