LED Par 64

bbraley

I'm in the process of setting up a new stage for our children's church. I've used the American DJ Par 64 LEDs in the past but am working with a tighter budget this time. I was wondering what other brands are as good as ADJ or if you're paying for quality in addition to the name.

We're going to use 6-8 lights to light up a 30' wide stage that goes from 8' deep at the center to 0' deep on the sides.

A few things:

1) Prices out on the internet are really not as low as you can get. PM forum member BillESC for much better pricing.

2) Check out the ColorKey LED pars as a cheaper alternative.

3) Check out the Irradiant product line for cheaper alternatives as well, in any of a number of form factors. There are a number of online retailers of Irradiant now, they are becoming rather well known.

ADJ is about the cheapest out there unless you go to ebay. They're sort of considered "bottom of the barrel" here on CB so you're definitely not paying for quality. You might look into Chauvet, but I imagine their prices are about the same. The quality will be the same -- probably manufactured in the same China facility as ADJ products.

It would seem to me you're looking for wash fixtures as apposed to spots, or at least a combination of floods and spots.

ADJ's LED pars are all spot focus, 20 degrees or less. Chauvet's Colorsplash 200b is a flood with a 45 degree beam spread. A nice workable and flexible package might use 6 of the Colorsplashs spaced across the front for a nice even wash and a couple of Par style LEDs for use as specials. Irradiant's LED pars have all the quality offered by ADJ at a lower cost.

Yeah, agree about ADJ, not worth it even at their price. I don't like the Chauvet gear (my preference, your milage may very), there are other better choices out there.

I have a little different approach to using LEDs. I never use them from a FOH position. I always use them either as top light, back light, or side light. I also use them either as specials for artists or to wash scenery rather than to wash an entire stage. This way you get more benefit from a smaller number of units. Now if you have the money for enough units then a stage wash can be good, but I put my priorities elsewhere.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back