LED PAR or Incandescent PAR???

It would depend on the model, but generally that is correct assumption. As for an LED 64 PAR (I assume you mean the Chauvet one?), it won't come close to being visible from 50'. 50' is a fairly long throw. Standard PAR cans won't be fantastic from that length, although they will be better at top wattages. That said, lamp costs and power costs are expensive.

Also, if you have any other questions regarding lighting or the area, PM me, as I'm around.

Also, head on over to the new member board and give yourself a proper introduction. Welcome to the booth!

Last edited:
It would depend on the model, but generally that is correct assumption. As for an LED 64 PAR (I assume you mean the Chauvet one?), it won't come close to being visible from 50'. 50' is a fairly long throw. Standard PAR cans won't be fantastic from that length, although they will be better at top wattages. That said, lamp costs and power costs are expensive.

Also, if you have any other questions regarding lighting or the area, PM me, as I'm around.

Also, head on over to the new member board and give yourself a proper introduction. Welcome to the booth!

A regular par 64 with a 1000w very narrow lamp is plenty effective from 50 feet. You would have to spend quite a bit of money to get similar performance from an LED unit unless you were wanting to use a lot of very saturated colors.

A 50' throw suggests a pretty high trim, unless these are being hung low over the house or something. Some other issues you'll contend with:

*lamp/gel maintenance, which would push you more to LED
*correct colors, which an LED may not give you, pushing you to conventional
*power and control, could push you either way

If you want an LED to deal with a 50' throw, you're going to spend very large money per unit (like over $1500) and I wonder if you'll get that back in lamp/gel savings over time.

Can you get them closer?

Instead of a LED Par, consider a LED Strip.

This church stage was lit with two fixtures that were about 70' apart. With RGBAW color mixing you'll enjoy a full pallette of colors for less than one might think.

proxy.php

proxy.php

LED strips are a good solution although as you see from Bill's pictures you won't have control of what gets lit and what doesn't at that range. They will light EVERYTHING. You can also get those LED strips at a decent price if you are not stuck on a big brand name. I believe the ones Bill sells are around $600-$700. These types of fixtures produce a lot of great colored light. The negative is that they don't create a really nice white light. If you want to go this route, don't buy the cheapest Chinese LED's on Ebay, buy them through a reputable local or online dealer.

If you want a big brand name that produces white light really well then ETC Seledor is the product for you. However the cost is going to multiply significantly. I haven't heard a current price on the Seledor strips but I think they are in the $4k range each.

Actually one Seledor strip in the front for some white light and cheaper LED's on the sides/back for color would produce a decent look without going too crazy.

Also remember you need a light board which can handle the LED's and DMX control cables can be expensive so plan for them in your budget.

Last edited:
I've worked extensively with both ETC Par/ParNels and LED's, and either would work fine, based on what you're looking for. LED's are more expensive, but are more power efficient and don't require gels, while Par's are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace/maintain. Personally, I would go with ETC Par Nels, because they're so much cheaper and more practical. You could get at least a few ParNels for the price of one or two LED's.

Okay Bill, I have to admit that's pretty impressive and a better white than other lower priced LED's that I've seen in the past. Oh, I see they are RGBAW. That explains it, most lower priced LED fixtures that I have seen have been just RGB, adding Amber and White makes a big difference in the ability to do subtle colors.

To the OP: if you could provide a little more info about your venue (size of stage), location and height of hanging positions, etc, we could provide more specific advice. When I hear 50' throw for front light, I think ERS (ellipsoidal) rather than any kind of PAR. But when I hear elementary school, I think if an LED solution could be found, you'll love the maintenance-free aspect. And a big, color-choosable wash may be just perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back