LED Parcan Question

I tried my hardest not to post this question because of its simplicity but after hours of searching and no luck I have to ask.

Are there any par can lights that are capable of producing every color in every bulb without color mixing? Or at the very least are there any par cans that do color mixing internally where the combination of colors arnt present?

The main reason I need the lights in final color is because the direction of the lights may at times face the crowd and seeing different color combinations in some cases would throw off the vibe im going for. Im starting to think it is highly unlikely or rare.
Any help is appreciated

I tried my hardest not to post this question because of its simplicity but after hours of searching and no luck I have to ask.

Are there any par can lights that are capable of producing every color in every bulb without color mixing? Or at the very least are there any par cans that do color mixing internally where the combination of colors arnt present?

The main reason I need the lights in final color is because the direction of the lights may at times face the crowd and seeing different color combinations in some cases would throw off the vibe im going for. Im starting to think it is highly unlikely or rare.
Any help is appreciated

Yes it's possible, it's just more expensive. Search for tri-led, or quad-led. Elation calls it tri-par, quad-par, etc.

SaneScitzo, no member of ControlBooth should ever be made to feel bad about asking a question because it's too simple. Now granted if it's a topic that has been discussed multiple times previously, one might expect to get some razzing, but more often than not, someone will merely cite a pertinent thread without additional comment.

Getting back to your question, I have renamed this thread "LED PARcan Question" as it doesn't appear you're talking about incandescent fixtures. It's unfortunate that our industry adopted the LED PAR nomenclature, when virtually none of the luminaire s use a parabolic aluminized reflector. It seems any LED unit that is not rectangular can be deemed an LED PAR. The quality and quantity of emitted light usually has no resemblance to a true PAR.

I too find color mixing inside the unit preferable, both to relieve visual distraction as well as to prevent color fringing shadows. techieman33's suggestion to search for tri-LED or quad-LED is a good one.

Some random examples:
SL PAR 150 ZOOM - Philips
Products » COLORado
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a couple of these:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/...ign=googleps&gclid=CMKUwNHLt7gCFUmk4AodmHsA3g

That's what you're looking for (of either cheaper or more expensive quality) look for anything that says tri-color led, that should mix the way you want and not like the color blindness dot test that others look like.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374100958.874041.jpg

Via tapatalk

I call 'em skittles. Not a huge fan of it myself.

I've actually got a couple of the mega pars from the video that derek linked. and like techiman said, it doesnt bother me in some places. Generally if people don't see the source I'm ok with it, if they will see the fixture (like in the OP's case) I do prefer tri color just because it looks cleaner. if they are just seeing colored light its not as bad. HOWEVER I will say the throw on those mega pars is terrible ( I didn't expect much, they were cheap and I grabbed them because I was curious) their spread is tiny and so you get basically a spotlight, but you can't have them further than about 15 feet away before they are worthless compared to anything else. But if you get them closer than that you can start to see variation in color because it looks like skittles. Still great for uplighting but I wouldn't use them for much else, maybe as truss warmers.

It all depends on what your doing, if it's just uplight then why spend all the extra money on a tri or quad. Now for lighting a stage then yeah spending the extra money is more than worth it.

The way LED technology is evolving that is really no longer an issue. Tri-color and even 4-1 and 5-1 LED are available for little money now.

It all depends on what your doing, if it's just uplight then why spend all the extra money on a tri or quad. Now for lighting a stage then yeah spending the extra money is more than worth it.

Why spend the extra money? Because the green shadows at the base of a wall that are created when trying to get a beautiful soft amber out of RGB LED's tends to make brides unhappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back