Led patching

msawyer52

I'm looking for recommendations for patching of a high school ETC Element console. We've just converted all of our conventional fixtures to LED. Previously we were patched to an ETC 48 Sensor rack at 1:1 which left the console faders in a less desirable configuration. It worked but was not the easiest with rotating HS techs to grasp using our makeshift magic sheets . I'm leaving the venue as a volunteer and would like suggestions related to patching the console by zones. There are 4 electrics, 2 FOH and 2 backstage. I have a vague idea but no experience, DSR, DSC, DSL..etc. Thanks, retiring lighting volunteer.

It's going to depend on all sorts of factors. I like to use the second number to identify the zone, and the first to identify the purpose, with some overlap/math when I have more than ten zones. One side 1-20, another 21-40, another 41-60, another 41-80, front 101-120, 121-141, back 201-..., But it's going to vary as well based on what lights you frequently reach for. Use less digits for more frequently used lights.

Points to keep in mind:
  • Repatching is not a major effort. Show files can/should be altered to suit the show. Copy/Move is simple and fast.
  • Multiple patches can be saved in separate files to act as starting templates for new shows. (Maybe concerts/meetings get their own file.)
  • Whatever you do, document it fully with many backup copies.
  • Running shows from channel faders should be discouraged. Submasters are far more flexible and powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back