LED Rain 56's at a corporate event

Those "bay window warmers" turn in to part of your small band rig that hooks up with all of the campus bands for their shows when you go to college and can afford another pair of them and a controller.

Might as well get some fun toys: order placed, less than $10.

Edit: It's a shame Stella Lights isn't based in Philly. Would be nice to get some more gear out this way.

And Chauvet has just won the "how the heck does that work out" award! On the product page for the ColorSplash Jr, they list it as a 5-channel fixture. However, the actual manual and DMX table both indicate that it is a 4-channel fixture. I can't see what a 5th channel would be for, so I can assume four channels. In that case, you could put up to 3 of them in to a single "fixture" on the DMX-70, and have full control over each on the first page of faders for each fixture. That's sweet. (Now exiting financial reality) So I could have 8 scanners with different stuff going on, but crap, there's only 4 fixtures left for LED lights, and there are 12 LED lights! No matter, I can patch them to 4 fixtures, and still control them all individually. Now that'd be one hell of a small band rig...dream on, dream on. That's every single birthday and christmas 'till I get out of my first internship after graduating.

Were they actual Chauvet LED-Rain56? I'm interested to know what you paid for them.

I do believe that he bought the colorsplash jr units, as I was touting those as great LED toys for people who just want to experiment.

I do believe that he bought the colorsplash jr units, as I was touting those as great LED toys for people who just want to experiment.

Yep, sorry for the confusion Bill. I got side-tracked to the ColorSplash Jrs. Seems like a better deal for the situations I'm considering.

Soundlight, yea, ha, that has a bit of price-tag with it! But I'm excited to get a chance to experiment with the ColorSpash Jrs. I know it's not even a mid-range LED unit, but, it looks right.

Oh, ok.

The Jrs are indeed a four channed fixture and as such with a controller like the DMX 70 you can have individual control over 4 fixtures assigned to a scanner button. Since there are 12 scanner buttons you could have control over 48 such fixtures.

However, the Jrs are just not bright enough for practical band lighting IMHO.

Oh, ok.
The Jrs are indeed a four channed fixture and as such with a controller like the DMX 70 you can have individual control over 4 fixtures assigned to a scanner button. Since there are 12 scanner buttons you could have control over 48 such fixtures.
However, the Jrs are just not bright enough for practical band lighting IMHO.

Yep, I looked into the illumination levels. That's why these things won't be doing any primary lighting on Friday. I just wanted anything that was a step-up from christmas lights behind the "stage". If I see one more strand I think I will throw up.

As a side topic: Am I alone in that feeling? It seems like everyone owns a half dozen strands, and they always get pulled into lighting use.

Eighty a piece.
You, my friend, got ripped off. Just saying. Then again, that's the MAP...it's just that the dealer cost on those things is...erm...rather low.

Por ejemplo: The Centerstage can. Same thing. It's even the exact same picture from the Chauvet website!

And Chauvet has just won the "how the heck does that work out" award! On the product page for the ColorSplash Jr, they list it as a 5-channel fixture. However, the actual manual and DMX table both indicate that it is a 4-channel fixture. I can't see what a 5th channel would be for, so I can assume four channels. ...
Enclosed with the fixture I just bought last week, for $49.99, was a half sheet of paper stating:

NOTICE
The COLORsplash 83 (LED-PAR83) has been upgraded. This unit now utilizes (5) channels of DMX. The channels are:
Channel 1: Reserved for future application
Channel 2: Blackout/Strobe/Dimmer
Channel 3: Red
Channel 4: Green
Channel 5: Blue

I haven't connected it to DMX yet, but am not impressed with the stand-alone modes--they're just different speed of color bumps, no color fades. I suspect you can just ignore the unused first channel, and use addresses 1, 5, 9, etc. with intensity on 2, 6, 10, etc. Gets confusing pretty fast.

Enclosed with the fixture I just bought last week, for $49.99, was a half sheet of paper stating:

NOTICE
The COLORsplash 83 (LED-PAR83) has been upgraded. This unit now utilizes (5) channels of DMX. The channels are:
Channel 1: Reserved for future application
Channel 2: Blackout/Strobe/Dimmer
Channel 3: Red
Channel 4: Green
Channel 5: Blue

I haven't connected it to DMX yet, but am not impressed with the stand-alone modes--they're just different speed of color bumps, no color fades. I suspect you can just ignore the unused first channel, and use addresses 1, 5, 9, etc. with intensity on 2, 6, 10, etc. Gets confusing pretty fast.

I'll just address everything down 1 after the first unit, then. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Philip,

I stand corrected. The Jr. is not a fixture we recommend due to the limited output and therefore have not paid close attention to any upgrades that have come down the pipeline. Too many other fixtures are entering the market everyday.

One thing I noticed on a ADJ fixture a client had once is that the LEDs all had slightly different beam angle. This had the effect of creating uneven colors. The worst was trying to make amber or yellow, it ended up with this awful green halo that you had to use a heavy defusion to try and mask. I'm wondering if this is a problem with other low end fixtures? Looking at the LEDSplash, it has a different number of reds as it does blues and yellows, so it makes me wonder if they are in fact, very dissimilar LEDs and prone to this effect. Anyone have any experience?

I did my homework on the prices guys, don't be fooled by my decision. :rolleyes:

No, but seriously, it was the only way I could get this to experiment with for this coffeehouse, which might be the last of the year. I have no real money, so it was Amazon money "ftw". Plus: free two-day-shipping. I would gladly have gone with a different vendor, as I found a reputable one with great prices, but my impatience got the best of me. :lol:

TGates, my research suggests that a much more considerable throw coupled with diffusion is the best way to achieve a more even color mix. It does have it's limitations, but, then again, who is going to notice them except for me? :mrgreen:

Edit: We are talking about two different lights!

TGates, my research suggests that a much more considerable throw coupled with diffusion is the best way to achieve a more even color mix. It does have it's limitations, but, then again, who is going to notice them except for me? :mrgreen:
Edit: We are talking about two different lights!

Actually, it was really sort of a question on low end LED fixtures in general, in fact, I think I shall just start a new thread on it rather then wander too far off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back