LED RGBW PAR 64 Drop-in

If it's a fixture for installation, where it's not going to get rigged and derigged on a regular, frequent basis, then I don't think RJ45 is a problem. A general purpose fixture, you might get failures, true. I get the impression from the blurb that the Primo fixtures are primarily intended for places like house lights or fixed accenting, rather than a rock'n'roll touring rig.

They are sending me a fixture to demo, so I will report back once I have played with it.
The RJ45 doesn't worry me too much. Luckily, the fixtures wouldn't have a rough life and the swap out cycle on the connection wouldn't be extreme.
I also have a metric boat load of PAR 56s. So, if they don't work for one thing, they may work for another.
I appreciate you taking the time to look at the info and get back to me.
Take care,
John

Beware RJ45s on a fixture.
And beware the Ides of March.

If there is a lot of connector insertion/removal anticipated, do what the video camera folks do: Install short jumpers with a mating connector. Patch to the jumper, and when its contacts get flaky and intermittent, you replace the jumper rather than sending the fixture out for connector replacement.

RJ45 have a rated lifetime of 1300 insertion cycles.

Here are some initial impressions.
The fixture is bright enough to compare to a 1kW PAR 64 MFL.
The blue is a deep blue LED. The White is a warm white. The pastels and skin tones are good.
In full color mode, the color range seemed quite good with control of the lime LED.
It does seem have a lot of flare out of the can. So, I am concerned how it will work from a rear truss with spill into the audience.
There is a Bluetooth Low Energy (?) device that can be connected. I haven't gotten the BLE terminal ap to work yet, but their ap with RGBW control will allow you to set the address from the ap.
I am going to hang my demo on the truss and shoot it out versus some NSP and MFL PARs from trim height.
I'll let you know more after that trial.
Take care,
John

Here are some initial impressions.
The fixture is bright enough to compare to a 1kW PAR 64 MFL.
The blue is a deep blue LED. The White is a warm white. The pastels and skin tones are good.
In full color mode, the color range seemed quite good with control of the lime LED.
It does seem have a lot of flare out of the can. So, I am concerned how it will work from a rear truss with spill into the audience.
There is a Bluetooth Low Energy (?) device that can be connected. I haven't gotten the BLE terminal ap to work yet, but their ap with RGBW control will allow you to set the address from the ap.
I am going to hang my demo on the truss and shoot it out versus some NSP and MFL PARs from trim height.
I'll let you know more after that trial.
Take care,
John
Thanks for the review. Keep us posted. I think I might want to order a demo and do some comparison as well. Did they indicate any general pricing for a Primo?

~Dave

List price is $399 with discounts for quantity orders is what I have been told. No info on how much a quantity to get a discount would be.
John

And beware the Ides of March.

If there is a lot of connector insertion/removal anticipated, do what the video camera folks do: Install short jumpers with a mating connector. Patch to the jumper, and when its contacts get flaky and intermittent, you replace the jumper rather than sending the fixture out for connector replacement.

RJ45 have a rated lifetime of 1300 insertion cycles.
The web page and the cut-sheet both state an "XLR option" -whether that's just a provided RJ45 to XLR pigtail or an actual jack is probably worth inquiring about.

Here are some images from my test as a backlight.
Truss trim height was 26'-6".
Narrow PARs with R26, R80, and L090.
Rough appoximation of color in the Luxium Primo.
The Primo is a larger beam.
The flare that I was concerned about did not prove to be a problem.
I had the fixture on with a PAR when my boss came into the theatre. His response to the Primo was that it looked like a PAR. This is because the lamp is set back into the fixture which is a look that I find more pleasant than the LED emitters right at the face of the fixture.
I was showing it to another friend. When I turned on the red, he thought it wasn't very red. Then, I turned on the MFL PAR with R26 next to it. And, he thought they were pretty comparable for color and intensity.
As I posted before, the blue is a deep blue. So, to approximate the R80, I added a bunch of green and lime.
The beam is not as defined as an NSP. But, since I am pairing these with a selection of moving lights, I can let the moving lights provide the beams in the air.
I thought about the RJ45 vs XLR. In the back of the PAR can, it is going to be easier to make the connection with the RJ45. We are pretty good here about not abusing our gear, so I am not overly concerned. I have some ideas about how to modify existing PARs and lamp bars if these work out.
I am looking to buy a dozen. This will give me enough to do one US wash in either our Arena (Pre-Rigged Truss) or Lyric (theatre battens) configurations.
John

Attachments

• IMG_20220629_094455702.jpg
    IMG_20220629_094455702.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20220629_093830865.jpg
    IMG_20220629_093830865.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20220629_094124531.jpg
    IMG_20220629_094124531.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20220629_094139084.jpg