LED Source Four

The question is "How Will It Be Sold?", not "How soon...?" Still, this page seems particularly indicative that the PDF is from a PowerPoint presentation, probably to educate dealers and not intended for the end-user.

I thought the wording seemed kind of "awkward" for something intended for users.

Does any one know what the comment about "Add S to model number to specify if the fixture should ship with the shutter panel" means?

Thanks,

Philip

It means that it ships in two configurations. One being without the barrel and another with it. So let's say you order 10 of these and intend to use them on existing fixtures you already own. You wouldn't need to buy more barrels with the shutter/iris/gobo mechanisms -- you already own that. But let's say you're buying these to add on top of your existing inventory -- then you would need those barrels with the shutter assemblies and you'd also need lens tubes to go with them.

Any word on Lumens OTF?
No; and if I were ETC, I'd never publish such figures, ever. Comparisons of LED sources, to traditional sources as well as to each other, is so problematic as to make virtually all numbers meaningless. For just one of the issues, see http://www.mikewoodconsulting.com/articles/Protocol Fall 2008 - Color Prejudice.pdf and http://www.mikewoodconsulting.com/articles/Protocol Spring 2011 - Nice Bright Colors.pdf . In fact, I encourage everyone to read ALL of Mike Wood's excellent articles at Articles .

No; and if I were ETC, I'd never publish such figures, ever. Comparisons of LED sources, to traditional sources as well as to each other, is so problematic as to make virtually all numbers meaningless. ...
I agree with you in a perfect world with easy demo units avialbe in every last corner of the world, ... except that's not the world we live in.

There are times when some times you have to puchase with out the oppurtunity for a demo, based on spec sheets and other people's expecience alone. (Which is why I really like CB)

I agree that a single lumens OTF number makes a poor comparison. But I think that there does need to be some small number of standard compairisons where 2-3 numbers can give you some meaning full compison. Something along the lines of the second article you linked from Mike Wood seems like a reasonable start where he "settles" on 2 numbers, Effacacy (lumens/watt) (I'd argure for pure lumens however), + Color Ratio.

It seems like I remember an ETC document showing the measured beam/field lumens compairing one of there Selador products with a S4 par of similar beam width gelled with ~10 "standard" gels. This is an alternate approach but is subject to some problems identified in the second article derek linked to.

Philip

No; and if I were ETC, I'd never publish such figures, ever. Comparisons of LED sources, to traditional sources as well as to each other, is so problematic as to make virtually all numbers meaningless. For just one of the issues, see http://www.mikewoodconsulting.com/articles/Protocol Fall 2008 - Color Prejudice.pdf and http://www.mikewoodconsulting.com/articles/Protocol Spring 2011 - Nice Bright Colors.pdf . In fact, I encourage everyone to read ALL of Mike Wood's excellent articles at Articles .

This is very true for the 7 color models, but the two "white" models should have full specs that are comparable to what we traditionally see.

This is very true for the 7 color models, but the two "white" models should have full specs that are comparable to what we traditionally see.

Right but the only comparison could possibly be on how bright it is. Not a single other thing is really comparable between units, so why not come up with some new way of measuring effectiveness to take a spiky curve and other issues into effect?

why not come up with some new way of measuring effectiveness to take a spiky curve and other issues into effect?

Once you figure out the mathematical formulas for that, let the rest of the industry know and if it's any good we'll give you an award.

Once you figure out the mathematical formulas for that, let the rest of the industry know and if it's any good we'll give you an award.

Thats not really my forte, but my point stands: LEDs are not directly comparable to a broad spectrum source, as is pretty clearly defined by the articles Derek posted. Saying oh its x lumens/foot candles is not quite the same as saying "it will bring out the x colors in this dress this way", or "with x gel, it will be this bright as opposed to say 10% transmission".

ETC introduces Source Four LED

Industry-favorite spotlight now in high-efficiency LED version

The world’s most popular line of profile spotlights just got bigger. ETC’s Source Four® started with the HPL lamp. Then the Source Four HID was added to the range. And now there’s the ETC Source Four LED, featuring brilliant colors, low heat, and even more energy-saving efficiency.

Lighting solutions for Theatre, Film & Television Studios and Architectural spaces : ETC
NEXTETC_Source_Four_LED_Lustr_News.jpg

The new Source Four LED is expected to be available to ship in April.

how did this end up here when it was posted on the "news" board?

Last edited:
Not as bad as I thought it was going to be for all the neat technology crammed in there. Now when can someone compare the warm white to regular source four and see how they compare?

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be for all the neat technology crammed in there. Now when can someone compare the warm white to regular source four and see how they compare?

They're officially launching the product at USITT next week in Long Beach. I'm sure they'll be shooting it out against traditional Source Fours (dang, we're gonna hafta start calling them "old style" Source Fours now, aren't we... :angryoldman:), and I'll be sure to take a bunch of photos and report back while I'm there. That said, I know the Tungsten version was designed to hang in a rig right next to Source Fours, so I'd expect that the light output is almost identical - and from what I've heard from others who have already seen the product, it's almost impossible to distinguish the two.

Twenty Five Hundred Dollars!? No freakin' way is this going to catch on with anyone other than the most highest of high end theatres and rental houses. Twenty grand for 8 lights? Sorry, but a lunar space station will catch on first...

^ No kidding. I guess I can see it because of the longevity and performance. I always thought regular S4s were a tad overpriced anyway. You must pay for quality, and you get what you pay for with ETC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back