LED strip rainbow

Jon Majors

I want to create a rainbow for Wizard of Oz. I will be making a frame from 1x3 material and will be attached LED strips in an arc to create the colors. I'm having trouble deciding what to cover it with. I was thinking acrylic but it's incredibly expensive. Any suggestions? The rainbow will be at 6' long and 2.5' wide. Thanks!

Depending on your budget there are also LED neon options. They will be pricier than straight LED tape but will be diffused already.

The budget route I have used in the past for diffusion is shower curtain. Success usually depends on distance from the audience.

I want to create a rainbow for Wizard of Oz. I will be making a frame from 1x3 material and will be attached LED strips in an arc to create the colors. I'm having trouble deciding what to cover it with. I was thinking acrylic but it's incredibly expensive. Any suggestions? The rainbow will be at 6' long and 2.5' wide. Thanks!
Have you considered five narrowly side-shuttered 6 x 16's on floats (floor bases) at the bottom SR corner of your cyc' or sky cloth aimed towards the top center with five more on the opposite side 2/4'd across in matching colors on five separate dimmers? You could start the number with the physically lowest color then add successive colors over the ~20 seconds of the number's intro'.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Wax paper is available at the grocery store and does a good job at diffusion but is not real wide. The roll I have is 12" wide.

A 4' x 8' sheet of clear coroplast would be pretty sweet but might be out of your budget.

On the west coast we have an amazing company called Tapp Plastic. Don't know if you have a similar company in your area. If it was my show I would head into the store and talk to them about what they have that might do the trick. Two minutes on their sight and I found this which might do the trick. If you don't have a plastic store in your area, try calling Tapp and see if they have any ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back