LED strip tap into headlight fuse? I have a 12V strip of LED about 120CM long. I tapp

I have a 12V strip of LED about 120CM long. I tapped this into a 10amp fuse in the fuse box so they turn on only on low beams and not high beams. It works perfectly right now but is this safe? Any better alternatives?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: LED strip tap into headlight fuse? I have a 12V strip of LED about 120CM long. I

Its safe as long as you tapped into the "load side" of the fuse. You find the load side by pulling the fuse, turning on the headlight switch and then using a meter to see which side you get 12v use the opposite side and then whatever you tap in will be protected by the fuse. I would install a small fuse between the fuse tap and the LEDs incase they short the LEDs will blow their fuse before taking out your headlights which is dangerous. For heavy load applications I would install a relay. Also in some states led/neon under vehicle lighting is illegal so be sure to check. Also having a second method to turn it on and off by switch or remote never hurts, especially if you are pulled over and asked to turn it off and you then have to open the hood and pull the fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back