LED Tape Specific Plug

@Lyle Williams I used to use these within multi-axis drive racks and Century Strand Canada used to use them to connect dimmer modules into rack wiring in the days when rack doors hinged open like refrigerators and dimmer modules were bolted in place on the back-plane. [The Canadian CPD or M series dimmers and racks come to mind] As a previous poster suggested regarding Molex, they're more suitable for use within rack assemblies. I'm suggesting they're not suitable for the 'rough & tumble' world of connectors for routine, day to day, interfacing of racks to external devices. I suspect Strand / Phillips may still be employing Anderson's blue series modules within CD80 packs [Packs as opposed to racks] to reconfigure between single and three phase operation. Great connectors for the purposes they're designed for. Not, in my opinion, suitable for the rigors faced by external, routinely repetitive, interconnections. From the perspective of limited custom production runs, Anderson's modularity, color coding, easy mechanical crimping options, could not be beat for flexibility and ratings at their price point. You wouldn't confuse these with mil-spec Pyle-Nationals but then they're at radically different price points for seriously different applications. @Ron Foley Would you care to comment on Anderson's connectors for the OP's purposes?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

ETC uses them in the SmartPack Touring System for switching between single phase and 3 phase supply. They use a 2x6 configuration if I remember correctly. It's a pretty robust connecter. The individual poles are housed in an overall outer shell. It is an internal connection inside the rack though, and probably not something I'd want for an external connection.

Ship's request is going to be a tough one to satisfy I think. Seems like the LED tape manufacturers need to up the voltage to reduce current draw. 48VDC is standard enough that the parts and pieces should be readily available.

The ATX specification places those limits to prevent power supplies from being overloaded, they really have nothing to do with Amphenol's spec. The manufacturer specifies 11A per pin.
If three channels are being used, you are correct a 4 Pin Molex is not going to suffice, as the fourth pin is going to see all the return current.

looking at connectors from the realm of computing, one of the larger mini-fit jr. plugs would do the job. 2 Pins per channels with 4 pins for return current, 8A per pin.

I've used 6 pin XLR, but I use the non switchcraft style so dmx cannot be plugged into it by accident. 4 pins for individual channels, 2 pins for common. Rated at 7.5a per pin. Most of the LED dimmers I use are common +, dimmed -. I also use a 2-4 pin JST connectors for smaller applications, as well as a 4 pin square Molex style for high draw. The connector we used was rated at 40a/pin

I've used JST and Chogori connectors for various art sculptures. Their catalogs have a lot of options.

For long wire lengths, it might be better to use current-controlled LED strips like what Environmental Lights offers. The length of wire or strip won't affect the brightness.

An alternative method is 4-channel DC dimmers with independent power supplies, then the only long distance wires and removable connectors are 120VAC and DMX.

What about TE Connectivity CPC Circular Plastic Connectors? I've used them in a few electronic projects and even had some on an old Strand Microcontrol "portable" desktop houselight control station.

http://www.te.com/usa-en/products/connectors/intersection/circular-plastic-connectors.html?tab=pgp-story

Its a secure connection and there are versions available in several pin styles and configurations and some that can handle up to 50 amps. TE's crimp tool is a bit pricey, but generic ones can be found.

What about TE Connectivity CPC Circular Plastic Connectors? I've used them in a few electronic projects and even had some on an old Strand Microcontrol "portable" desktop houselight control station.

http://www.te.com/usa-en/products/connectors/intersection/circular-plastic-connectors.html?tab=pgp-story

Its a secure connection and there are versions available in several pin styles and configurations and some that can handle up to 50 amps. TE's crimp tool is a bit pricey, but generic ones can be found.
@bhrpcek In my day, "CPC Circular Plastic Connectors" was a trademark of AMP. Excellent connectors in terms of ratings, availability of mounting styles and options for maintaining non-intermatability when you need to prevent end users from mis-connecting systems and sub-systems. NOT up to the real world day to day abuse of touring productions mating, unmating and handling in the hands of local crews on a daily, or twice or thrice daily, basis. Good but not as durable as genuine Socapex or Pyle National and hardly surprising at a fraction of the cost. Definitely not MIL Spec.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back