LED Tape

Taylor Ness

I'm looking for a DMX controlled LED Tape solution. Will be implemented as part of a large stair unit in an awards show. We'd like RGB control of the whole string, individual LED control isn't necessary. Should be dimmable. What can y'all recommend? Thanks!

If you can wait a while, I've never had any trouble with LED tape or controllers from overseas manufacturers. Alibaba is a portal for Chinese suppliers and consumers to connect, I've done business with several companies on there.

As much as I hate Elation, they have LED tape. And while it's expensive (and also made in China) it is sold stateside, so no waiting, and Elation has at least some QC in place.

My advice, go straight to eBay or Alibaba. I've seen US companies charge $150 or more for the 5m RGB tape that you can find on eBay for $15 consistently. (With free shipping, that has usually impressed me with it's speed)

I use Holiday Coro for my RGB needs, they are based in the Holiday Decorating space (Christmas and such) and I use them for that but they work just as well for theater use. Heck they may work better at times! They have both Dumb and Smart (pixel) RGB and controllers so you can grab whichever you need at the time. They also have different types of controllers and power supplies so take a look around.

16' RGB Strip - RGB LED Strip 12v 30 LEDs per Meter Waterproof

DMX controller - 3 Channel DMX Controller/Decoder for RGB Lights / 12v DC - $9.99

Elation and City Theatrical both have LED tape.

A few years ago I did an architectural project with unknown imported product. They had a US office, but and seemed legit. After a year of many driver replacements and burned parts I put in Elation drivers. Been flawless ever since. My take away is that product support from 5000+ miles is very difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back