LED Tri vs LED RGD

I am researching led lights for our church. Right now I am considering Chauvet SlimPAR Pro Tri or Chauvet SlimPar 64.

Any opinions?

Big question is which is better, Tri colored lights or RGB lights.

If you have the money, go with the Tri fixtures.

Basically, the difference, besides the potential quality of the LEDs, is the fact that with fixtures that use discrete RGB LED sources, they rely on distance to blend these three colors into one uniform color. Unfortunately, with so many point sources, they will never blend perfectly and there is always a chance for shadowing. Basically, if you stand in front of the beam, you may see many shadows of yourself in red, green and blue.
Theoretically, tri fixtures eliminate this problem by combining the three colors inside the LED itself and with a reflector and lens. Is it perfect? Maybe not, but it's certainly better.

Also, the Tri fixtures you are looking at are brighter and have a wider beam angle, though understandably more expensive.

As a note, both fixtures use Red, Green and Blue for additive color mixing, so your question is really more about the type of LEDs used.

I'd see if anywhere local might have them in stock that you can see them side by side. Without knowing exactly what you're doing, I can't guarantee the added price of the Tri will be worth it, though my gut tells me to stay away from the SlimPar 64s.

If you want to use the lights to light faces, I would strongly suggest a RGBW or RGBAW fixture. As far as I know there are no 'tri' type units with 4 or 5 colors.

John is absolutely correct. You need at the very least RGBA fixtures and RGBAW's are better.

Several manufacturers offer these 4 in 1 and 5 in 1 fixtures. For example Blizzard has the Puck Fab 5

proxy.php

If you want to use the lights to light faces, I would strongly suggest a RGBW or RGBAW fixture. As far as I know there are no 'tri' type units with 4 or 5 colors.

+1

And with the price of LED products dropping almost daily and quality zooming up, you should be able to find a really good product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back