LED

What is the purpose of these LED Lights? There are a lot of things to consider when investing in LED tech, and what purpose you plan to use these for is important in deciding what lights to get. That said, depending on the purpose, the COLORdash Par Quad-7 is a great little light, and is useful in a number of applications. The main thing will be figuring out if it's bright enough for what you're doing.

Also, there are so many inexpensive controllers out there right now. You could get a sub-$200 controller and some inexpensive DMX cable and have DMX control of these lights very easily, if you so desire.

Are you using them as house lights, or to uplight walls and architecture? Those are pretty good fixtures though, for either if you use enough, and have the throw distance for coverage.

If you're just using them as house lights, I wouldn't think that you would need to change the colors, and that therefore your options are much broader. Here's a couple of things to think about. But I think those pars would work okay.
Led Fresnel
Led Wash - things along this line have very powerful/large beams.
Best Led's I've used

I believe this is an RGBA fixture. I would hesitate to use any RGBAW fixture as my sole house light. Without a continuous spectrum the light will feel a bit off. The colors of clothing will not be different, etc.

Another major area of concern would be if you're going to use them as a light source for video. You would need to research much more thoroughly for a LED fixture to do that.

Who wants to ask about emergency egress lighting? Go ahead, somebody needs to break the news that the LED's he's looking for are only a quarter of the cost involved.

My advice- start with infrastructure. Get your power distribution sorted. Get control in place. Be sure that your emergency lighting is up to standard, and that it will work when the inevitable LED switchover happens. There's alot of leg work to doing it right. Hanging new lights is actually the last step.

@BernsBright , Please don't make assumptions about the posters intentions. This seems to be a growing problem on controlbooth. People read a basic post and jump to conclusions, in order to share how smart they are, based information they just read on the internet yesterday. Not to jump to conclusions myself, because you very well may know a lot about egress lighting, however, that has never even been hinted at in this thread, so in this context it has as much relevance as the under-cabinet lighting in the kitchen.

The original poster has not yet provided enough information for ANYONE to give good, well rounded advice. The fixture they are considering is a fine fixture for several applications, but until we get more specifics about the design goals and intended functionality, its all speculation, which does not really help anyone.

@BernsBright , Please don't make assumptions about the posters intentions. This seems to be a growing problem on controlbooth. People read a basic post and jump to conclusions, in order to share how smart they are, based information they just read on the internet yesterday. Not to jump to conclusions myself, because you very well may know a lot about egress lighting, however, that has never even been hinted at in this thread, so in this context it has as much relevance as the under-cabinet lighting in the kitchen.

The original poster has not yet provided enough information for ANYONE to give good, well rounded advice. The fixture they are considering is a fine fixture for several applications, but until we get more specifics about the design goals and intended functionality, its all speculation, which does not really help anyone.

+1

They are just used for lighting the congregation

That's enough info for me to say- hey buddy, consider the big picture.

we don''t have a lighting console or dmx capability so we would have to change the color manually.

This points to very simple on off operation that would coincide with using the fixtures as houselights.

I'm sure he appreciates you championing his cause. Heck I appreciate it. But I do believe my comments are relevant and useful.

Kind of one thing to ask if this could be a concern, and another to state that it is and will cost a lot. We simply don't know, though it sounded as if this were an existing venue - partly since only adding a few units - and therefore should already have emergency lighting. Lots of questions, few answers.

But then the response "telling" you to not make assumptions kind of rubs me the wrong way. I think in the interest of civility we should overlook over reaching posts or suggest more subtly or in private that perhaps a little rethink is necessary.

It would really be nice to know a little more about the situation, that we can probably all agree on.

Last edited:

Given the lack of depth to which some posters have been proven to read the entire reply thread/entire postings, I don't myself think that it is at all outre for a person posting a reply to make some assumptions where the OP hasn't provided enough data, as long as they're clear what those assumptions are.

Assuming that this *must* be the person replying trying to fluff up their down seems to me like it is *itself* that behavior, honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back