Conventional Fixtures LEDs for the theatre

There is another option to speed up the slow replacement process. I've joked in the past about an LED replacement cap to upgrade a standard S4 to LED... but to me it's the brilliant solution to make someone a LOT of money.

I've seriously day dreamed of the same type of replacement cap; and I think if LED fixtures had a little better output that it would already be worth the savings on a new installation that wouldn't have to purchase so much dimming capability and wiring.

My 2¢

So the 100watt LED is still to be invented, multiple LEDs in one unit isn't as exciting.The use of "colour temperature" in describing LEDs is very misleading as it assumes a spectrum similar to a tungsten, which it is not, again to students reading this thread please treat it as a futuristic fantasy, there is a long way and many break through to go yet.If ever.

So, why isn't "Color Temperature" misleading when talking about arc sources? They are also in no way similar to tungsten. I'm really asking, not challenging you.

I'm not positive, but I think the REVOlution uses a single LED. Even if not, you still have the Chauvet Minspot. Then there's the Elation Impression, which may not be exciting to you, but It's still an LED fixture that pretty much won a shoot out with a 250w Arc source.

there is a long way and many break through to go yet.If ever.

I'll bet you would have said the same thing 20 years ago and someone said TV's will eventually be able to hang on the wall like a picture frame. Or 30 years ago if they said a computer would be able to sit in your lap.

The feature of 99% of predictions of the future is that they are wrong, futurologists have been wrong for centuries
The 100 watt LED is 30mm square, hardly suitable for any theatre lamp point source optics, and did it need 200watts of cooling,? and what is its colour spectrum, the news always tells you the positive, never the negative.Many have bought the sales pitch, when I see it I'll believe it, till then LEDs are great eye candy but have a long long way to go to be any value in theatre.

Hey David,

Disagreeing with you on a couple things:

a) The single 100w LED fixture does exist and our own BILLESC is a new dealer for the project who is currently working on getting one in shop for testing. He posted about it in this thread.

b) Color temperature. The Seledor LED strips, using 7 different colors of LED, can mix an amazing variety of white color temperatures. They had a great color temperature demo at LDI in 2006. So simulating the color temperature of tungsten has been possible for a while with the right LED gear.

Agreeing with you on a couple things:
a) Too expensive for the vast majority of theater applications... unless your show is in Vegas.
b) Not bright enough to take seriously YET (The manufacturer of that 100 watt LED says it's the equivalent to an MSD 250 but I'm very skeptical of anything I read from a Chinese manufacturer... especially claiming the equivalent of 18,000 lumens or so from an LED fixture).

I know you are fairly anti-LED. I classify myself as skeptical but hopeful. I've seen a lot of great stuff on the market already that is very close to useful... just wait a few more years for the price to drop.

Last edited:
Not trying to necro post here but I was doing load in today and this thread popped into my mind. We use some small LED Pars I'm pretty sure they're called "Par lite LED"s I'll check when I go upstairs to check on the ice later tonight. But I was hanging them today and realized that they all came with an integrated gel holder which is odd not only for the reasons listed here but that these are a reletively cheap RGB fixture. The type that doesn't really mix too well to white as far as I understand. Just food for thought we just sure them as truss warmers and don't even have gel frames for them.

FURTHER LOOKING INTO IT: So I was right the fixtures are Coemar ParLite LED fixtures. But I was REALLY off on the reletively cheap part. FWIW heres a link to the best site I could find on them. Theres a big picture it's easy to see the gel holders.

Coemar ParLite LED

Last edited:
Pork, the Coemar Parlite is far from a cheap fixture. Matter of fact it's among the most expensive. Unless, that is, you consider $1500/unit cheap.
proxy.php

< they all came with an integrated gel holder which is odd not only for the reasons listed here but that these are a reletively cheap RGB fixture. >

My guess is the 'gel' clips are to be used with barn doors or other spill-controling accessories such as a tophats, baffles, etc. rather than for gel sheets.

I've been wrong before, but that's my gut instinct...

My school used four LED par cans to light part our set (staircase) and side masking. It was nice to just have to hang one light instead of 3 to do the same thing. The only draw back was, we limited the LEDs in the par can to only be on or off giving us only 7 colors. (We did this because the LEDs lighting the stairs were either on or off, so we made it easy on our selves).

The price, looking at derekleffew's seems to be a bit pricey at $1500/unit. So right now I don't think LEDs are the way to go yet, unless your budget is unlimited, or you have a place where you can rent them. But give it a bit of time, the price will drop and the the LEDs will be refined to give you an unlimited color pallet.

And if any one would like to see some of the pictures of our LEDs I'll be glad to give you a link, assuming I get permission from the photographer, just send a PM or if enough people want to see it, I'll jsut post the link.( Its pictures of a 35 foot wide, 8 foot high, 12 feet deep stair case.)

So Pork... how do those $1500 LED's compare to the sub $150 LED's we see everywhere?

Coemar Par Lite LEDs are directly comparable to a Design LED 36 and COLORado 1. The Coemar's have better build quality and more lensing options compared to the others. The only issue I notice when using them is the fixture itself gets very warm to the touch when in use for long periods. No fans on them unlike the DLED36. Not sure if the COLORado 1 has fans or not.

< they all came with an integrated gel holder which is odd not only for the reasons listed here but that these are a reletively cheap RGB fixture. >

My guess is the 'gel' clips are to be used with barn doors or other spill-controling accessories such as a tophats, baffles, etc. rather than for gel sheets.

I've been wrong before, but that's my gut instinct...

Or frosts.

SB

Yes, or frosts. Inexpensive way to diffuse and soften the RGB shadowing prevalent on some LED fixtures. Good point Steve!

So Pork... how do those $1500 LED's compare to the sub $150 LED's we see everywhere?

There one of the only things on my rig that hasn't broken this week. So for that I give them the duability award since these units have traveled over 10k miles and been in 5 countries and only one of my spares has been used so far I think. To compare 3 of my 8 Martin stagebar's are currently down, and every day we get to go up and reset anywhere from 1 to 36 Clay Paky Alpha Wash 1200 because of an error that Paky claims is impossible. I really like these units. As far as them getting hot to the touch I haven't experianced that. We'll run them for three two and a half hour long shows and load out the minute the last show is over and they aren't the least bit uncomfortable to touch.

So in the end I'd say very spendy but bullet proof

Users who are viewing this thread

Back