Conventional Fixtures LEDs for the theatre

White light in 'cool' and 'warm' color temps is grand, but color is needed as well. Perhaps the current LD that sits at the desk would prefer his choice of a particular blue from a gel, rather than RGB color mixing.

We were told PAR cans would be obsolete by now too, and that isn't the case. Not yet-

Whether color is needed or not really depends on what you're doing, for instance, down here in Pageantland, the closer I can get to white light the better off I am. As we are trying to reproduce pieces of art on a large scale, its very important that paint and makeup colors read true. A more conventional example would be standard front lighting. While you typically will use a warm and a cool, they are still generally, well within the realm of white light. The ability to warm up or cool down your light source could absolutely be useful in this application.

Existing buildings are another story, but for any new facilities if/when we reach the point of LED as the standard, even if the technology isn't as cheap as incandescents, many places could save a lot of money not having to purchase and wire up dimmer systems, pay for lamps, gels, massive amounts of energy, etc. I don't know if/when that will be, but there certainly is prospect for cheaper facility operations in the long-term.

The reason I leave some uncertainty in what I say, is because it will at least be 3-5 years before LED's advance that far, and who knows where that technology will go, or what other technologies may arise in that time frame.

By the time LEDs are this advanced source 4's will be obsolete, unfortunately this fantasy thread will have the effect of lots of readers thinking that LEDs really are ready for theatre use which they are not, and what is this 100watt moving head? details please.

While I agree with MNicolai and allthingstheatre that LED's are not quite ready for theatre use, that does not mean that they are not ready to be used in theatres. At my facility, I'm looking into LED's for use in off stage areas, such as stair lighting, path lighting outside the stage building, and for use as permanently installed running lights in backstage areas. Whether this will prove to be economically viable in the long term, I don't know yet, but I'm still doing my research.

As far as stage lighting goes, what we do down at the pageant is a little unconventional. I use a lot of conventional household lighting fixtures which I have adapted for use on the stage. The primary light source for most of our pictures is an adjustable picture frame with 80, 75 watt incandescent light bulbs, 12 inkies, and 24 modified tracklight fixtures using 50 watt GU-10 lamps. The incandescent light bulbs are the primary lights in this frame. I also install 100 to 200 of these lights and 12 volt xenon task lights designed for under cabinet lighting in kitchens on various sets. I'm looking at LED's as a possible future upgrade to my Frame lighting, but what I need is something with the performance characteristics of a 75 watt light bulb installed against a reflective white backing. Also I need to be able to roll the frame into place, plug it in, and have it work instantly, with no lag time while DMX controlled fixtures cycle through whatever self checks they normally require.

I'm also looking into LED strip lights as a possible replacement for my aging R-40 strips, but never having seen a side by side comparison between an R-40 strip and an LED strip, I don't know how comparable they are in terms of spread and intensity.

Granted, I have no problem continuing to utilize my current setup as it has, in various incarnations, worked nearly flawlessly throughout the 75 year history of the Pageant. But there is the very real possibility that sometime in the next decade, the California state legislature will take the decision out of my hands if and when they decide to ban incandescent light bulbs in the state of California.:evil:

If that happens I will be left with a choice between upgrading my systems and starting a smuggling ring to get my daily fix of incandescents.:mrgreen:

But there is the very real possibility that sometime in the next decade, the California state legislature will take the decision out of my hands if and when they decide to ban incandescent light bulbs in the state of California.
All opinions I've heard is that Stage/Studio Lamps will be exempt. I realize this doesn't help you with your 75W A19 lamps, however. Perhaps more Showguns?

All opinions I've heard is that Stage/Studio Lamps will be exempt. I realize this doesn't help you with your 75W A19 lamps, however. Perhaps more Showguns?

And that is precisely my problem. While my facility is a stage, and I do use standard stage lighting, some of my needs cannot be met with stage lighting fixtures. That's why I'm looking for alternatives before I'm forced to. In the mean time, I've got a large enough supply of incandescents to hold me for a while should the state decide that they will no longer be sold in California. That will buy me some time, but ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back