LED's to replace standard PAR's

SteveB

I have some funds to burn and a recommendation to make.

I have a large Pit/Apron area (50ft wide x 25ft deep), part of which is our orchestra pit. all of which serves as a primary playing area for events not needing cyc/proscenium/masking, etc...

It's currently lit for orchestral/recital events with 10 PAR64 1000w units with long life 4000hr wide flood lamps, as top light from a fixed acoustical ceiling, and 6 - PAR38/250w floods, L to R at the proscenium arch. The PAR64 units vary from +22ft to +25ft above deck, the PAR38 (architectural fixtures built into the ceiling) at about +21 above deck.

I would like to replace all, with an LED fixture of approx. the same size as a S4 PAR (in width), with wide flood characteristics. The goal being:

- Replace incandescent with LED for longer life
- Replace the PAR38 fixtures with a brighter fixtures.
- Gain some color changing capability in the process, though we do not currently change from no color on the existing, for 2 reasons, they are "Work Lights/Recital/Rehearsal lighting" on the Unison system and need to stay as no color, and 2) They require a Genie lift to gain access, thus making gel, and lamp and focus changing problematic.

Issues I need to deal with:

- Color Rendition. I.E. I now have a nice warm white light for orchestral concerts, etc.. and want to retain that "feel", as in I do not want musicians complaining.

- I don't want musicians complaining.

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

There are a large number of options for LED white light that can function at that height. I sell 3W WWW (white/warm white) that use 24 3W LEDs. I also have units that use 36 1W LEDs that would work as well. The only problem is with the wide angle, but that can be fixed with some diffusion (DF64).

The info for the 3W is attached. The 1W is the Chauvet Rain CWWW unit.

Mike

Attachments

• WDM-HP-Par64-White.pdf
    114.6 KB · Views: 241
What is your timeframe/limit to burn those funds?

Edit: I ask as a general question for the good of the order.

Last edited:
So, what's with the allowing of gear pimping all of a sudden? About a week ago I quickly mention that I sell Sennheiser in a thread specifically about buying Sennheiser hand helds and I get quoted the rule book and immediately take it down. It seems like there's been a lot of "buy my LED talk" going on lately and I'm just wondering if it has been overlooked (accidentally or intentionally) or if there is preferential treatment happening here.

Not trying to kill anyone's sell here; quite contrary I am very interested myself and hope to do business (as a repeat customer) with some of these folks soon, but I'm wondering if there are better avenues for this type of marketing. Maybe this is topic for a new thread, but I'd like to see a way to easily access a sort of CB member dealers database. Some way to see who sells certain products would be a great way to "keep it in the family" so to speak. I'd like to let people know the products I sell, as do others here obviously, but I don't want to come across as trying to pimp my gear on an educational forum. At the same time, it would be beneficial to the CB end user as they would be getting the CB price rather than that of "Guitars R Us" and the like. I don't know, what do you think?

What is your timeframe/limit to burn those funds?

Edit: I ask as a general question for the good of the order.

No time frame and potentially a long lead time between initial exploration of concept, equipment test, etc... and delivery.

We apply for City of NY Arts Council grants. We've gotten 3 to date since '03. Ea. takes about 1-1/2 years, start to finish.

Thus I'm exploring the LED replacement option and want to determine what fixtures folks are aware of and possibly have experience with.

SB

Oh yeah, in another year there will be more and better products. In the last year we have seen the addition of zoom units and the 5W LED unit, who knows what will be out there by next year.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back