LEE Colortran Company

DId you ever use A Lee Colortran ENR 96 system and did you Like it?

• Yes I used one and I liked it

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • No I have never used one

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Yes I have used one and never liked that system

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
Yeesh... There's an awful lot more hate for the ENR in those votes than I would have expected... Has it really been that bad a system towards some of you?

Yeesh... There's an awful lot more hate for the ENR in those votes than I would have expected... Has it really been that bad a system towards some of you?

Can’t say about the smaller packs, but as the big 96 racks had plastic dimmer modules and aluminum buss bars (as Mac commented on) and the occasional melt down, I can see where it would leave a less then positive opinion with people, especially as I’ve been told that when the plastic dimmer modules got overly warm, they would sag a bit till it looked like the they were smiling. Not something you want in an 600 amp rack, LOL. Colortran DID offer up fixes eventually.

Some interesting reading here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft/Y5GbQH4xrJQ/UD6EyfSVv6QJ

Hi all

Like I have said before it has been a long time sense I have posted on here. Lee Colortran has a very interesting history. I like companies like this that went through different owners and names. I am sad that Lee Colortran went bankrupt but I can see why. The ENR96 system I have is not used anymore except for one dimmer to control house lights for a event hall/former theater that I use to volunteer at to doing lighting and sound. I actually was the one that got the used ENR 96 system and got it installed there. We are now making plans to remove that system and I am going to put it in my storage unit. This might sound strange but there is sentimental value for me. That was the system I learned lighting on. Before I became the owner of the system it was installed in my high school auditorium and I learned lighting by doing it all hands on and just playing the lighting board. After that I became one of the only people in the school to know how to program the system. After my high school decided to renovate I went ahead and bought the ENR69 rack and have it installed at the event hall/theater I volunteer at. So when we remove it I plan on keeping it for my sentimental reasons.

Thank you all for the history of this company. I find this very interesting. It is cool to get to know about these old companies. It was not till I read the name on the LEE filters that it was the same company as Colortran. I really got my first introduction to the Lee Colortran ENR 96 system was in the 90's when I was in high school and did lighting for an event and really had no idea what I was doing. After that I thought doing lighting was the coolest thing in the world and did it as much as I could in high school and than at the local theater that my youth theater group became part of that I was a member of. Many years later I took up live sound and that is what I do now. But I always find it great to be able to have knowledge on how to do both tasks that way if I am asked to do sound for an theater and they are having lighting issues I can make suggestions that help out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back