Lee Colortran ENR 96 rack issue

scotteckers

Hello lighting world,

Is anyone very familiar with the ENR series?

I went in the help a local school with their lighting and found a completely unresponsive rack. None of the dimmers respond to DMX, but the green "signal" light goes on when I connect a DMX console.

The only way to get lights to turn on (at full, of course) is to put in non-dim bypass modules and turn the breakers on. No matter what the rack is set to, the lights go on when these modules are inserted. They have been using these six working circuits like this for years! I tested the circuitry extensive and there is definitely power to the entire distribution when the non-dim modules go in...

The three phase LEDs are not on. The "power" red and yellow heat sensor LEDs are on. I tried putting the circuits in PANIC mode but that didn't work any differently. I tried turning the dip switches on and off for the low-voltage signal input on each card. I attempted to use architectural controls. Nothing worked except for ONE SPLIT SECOND when I addressed the rack to "0". The console worked for literally one second and then everything went back to the way it was.

How can power get to lights when the phase LEDs are out? Has anyone seen this before? Is it broken cards?

Help! I really know what I'm doing and I'm stuck!

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

• Old_Monticello_HS_2.jpg
    Old_Monticello_HS_2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,056
  • Old_Monticello_HS_1.jpg
    Old_Monticello_HS_1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 879
Hello lighting world,

I went in the help a local school with their lighting and found a completely unresponsive rack. None of the dimmers respond to DMX, but the green "signal" light goes on when I connect a DMX console.

The only way to get lights to turn on (at full, of course) is to put in non-dim bypass modules and turn the breakers on. No matter what the rack is set to, the lights go on when these modules are inserted. They have been using these six working circuits like this for years! I tested the circuitry extensive and there is definitely power to the entire distribution when the non-dim modules go in...

The three phase LEDs are not on. The "power" red and yellow heat sensor LEDs are on. I tried putting the circuits in PANIC mode but that didn't work any differently. I tried turning the dip switches on and off for the low-voltage signal input on each card. I attempted to use architectural controls. Nothing worked except for ONE SPLIT SECOND when I addressed the rack to "0". The console worked for literally one second and then everything went back to the way it was.

How can power get to lights when the phase LEDs are out? Has anyone seen this before? Is it broken cards?

Thanks,
Scott
Epiphany... perhaps it is CMX...?

From http://litetrol.com/colortranENR.htm :
ENR was a rack, which was “self-syncing”. That is, it recognized the 3 major dimmer signal types (AMX-192, DMX-512, Colortran multiplex), and “sync-ed” automatically to that particular signal. Pretty handy where a road show might come in with their own console, and like to “speak” to your dimmers!

Click the link, then give Steve a call.

... These used the proprietary CMX192 addressing.
Let's avoid using CMX192 as a synonym for Colortran MultipleX, CMX, or D192, for assorted reasons.

Fair enough. My high school got one of the the very EARLY ENR systems in July of 1989. We had nothing but trouble with them, including a small fire. I assumed that these were CMX only. My bad. Carry on.

Incidentally, these were known as the "smiling" dimmers. Can anyone guess why?

Derek, your curmudgeonry never fails to amuse me! CMX it is. How many channels could CMX address???

Last edited:
Hi Scott,
I am looking through some old Colortran documentation that I have here.
I haven't found a trouble shooting section yet. Here is what I have learned.
Both control modules in the rack need to be set to the same number. Zero on the thumb wheel is the position for Rack [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG]. Thumbwheel 1=Rack 2.
If the power light on the module is blinking there is a problem with the input power to the rack. If it is solid, it does not sense a problem.
If you put the control modules in "Test", the whole rack should power up. If it isn't, which seems to be what you are saying with the "panic" test, then the control modules are not outputting control to the dimmer modules.

When you change the rack address and it powers up, do the fans start? Are the fans running at all?
Here is what I think.
The airflow indicator being lit, means that the rack fans are not running, and therefore the control module will not turn on the dimmers so that they won't overheat and catch fire. Remember the ENRs had a problem with catching fire when they were introduced.

I will see if I can find a trouble shooting guide in my documentation.
I do have parts diagrams, so if you need new fans I should be able to get your specs.

Good luck,
John Palmer

Hello lighting world,

Thanks,
Scott

Yes, the airflow sensor is causing the rack to shut down.
So, either the airflow sensor is bad, or the fans are bad.
There also looks to be a 2A/250V slo-blo fuse in the shroud assembly.
From the cut sheet, "The rack shall contain one continuous duty low-noise fan with a maximum NC rating of 43..."
Unfortunately, the only other info on the fan is the Colortran part # 29645-01
Hope this helps,
John

Hi Scott,
I am looking through some old Colortran documentation that I have here.
I haven't found a trouble shooting section yet. Here is what I have learned.
Both control modules in the rack need to be set to the same number. Zero on the thumb wheel is the position for Rack [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG]. Thumbwheel 1=Rack 2.
If the power light on the module is blinking there is a problem with the input power to the rack. If it is solid, it does not sense a problem.
If you put the control modules in "Test", the whole rack should power up. If it isn't, which seems to be what you are saying with the "panic" test, then the control modules are not outputting control to the dimmer modules.

When you change the rack address and it powers up, do the fans start? Are the fans running at all?
Here is what I think.
The airflow indicator being lit, means that the rack fans are not running, and therefore the control module will not turn on the dimmers so that they won't overheat and catch fire. Remember the ENRs had a problem with catching fire when they were introduced.

I will see if I can find a trouble shooting guide in my documentation.
I do have parts diagrams, so if you need new fans I should be able to get your specs.

Good luck,
John Palmer

... How many channels could CMX address???
512. The only difference between "CMX" and DMX512 are some timing changes instituted in 1986 by USITT so that Colortran wouldn't have an "unfair" advantage.
The 192 in D192 (aka CMX) refers to the maximum number of dimmers in a rack, unlike AMX192 where it is maximum number of dimmers in the line.

We're running 192 channels of ENR dimming via DMX.
Worked on it today.
Huh. (Other than the plastic frames and aluminum contacts) looks an awful lot like a Sensor rack, dudn't it? I wonder why that is?

512. The only difference between "CMX" and DMX512 are some timing changes instituted in 1986 by USITT so that Colortran wouldn't have an "unfair" advantage.
The 192 in D192 (aka CMX) refers to the maximum number of dimmers in a rack, unlike AMX192 where it is maximum number of dimmers in the line.

Huh. (Other than the plastic frames and aluminum contacts) looks an awful lot like a Sensor rack, dudn't it? I wonder why that is?

I thought that CMX only sent data for 192 dimmers. The 512 dimmer capability came with DMX ?. Memory is getting fuzzy though.

EDIT:, Never mind, just read 512.

As to the similarity between ENR and Sensor, I recall a lawsuit that ETC won and Colortran lost. David Cunningham involved ?. A Google says the suit was about Colortrans i series dimmers, yet I recall something about DC designed ENR then turned around and sold the design to ETC, which became Sensor, Colortran sued and lost, then the ENR's starting melting and Colortran went bankrupt fixing the problems as well as settling the lawsuit.

This was all 20 years ago.

Last edited:
As John Palmer says, your problem is probably airflow related since the airfow indicator is on. The airlfow sensor will shut down all of the dimmer modules until it believes proper airlfow has been restored. I once had an older install where all of the dimmers would randomly shut down for varying periods of time, then come back on. I asked the staff to run back to the dimmer room and see if the airflow light was on whenever it would happen. They reported that was exactly what was happening. Vacuuming the rack cured the problem.
So vacuum all the dimmer and control module ventilation openings. You may have dust buildup blocking the airflow sensor in the bottom left of the rack behind the left control module I think.

The best way is to power down the rack THEN remove the left control module and carefully inspect and clean the area around the sensor. Sometimes if the control module is seated slightly askew, it will cause an airflow error. Removing and replacing it can fix the problem. CAUTION: If you have a Viewpoint control module, DO NOT power down the rack or remove it unless you are absolutely certain you have a backup memory card or the Viewpoint configuration is backed up on a PC with serial port. All of your houselight stations may suddenly become useless!
If cleaning does not cure the problem, turn OFF ALL dimmer breakers and push in the test switch. The fan should start running. If it doesn't, either the fan is bad or the fan fuse is blown.

I thought that CMX only sent data for 192 dimmers. The 512 dimmer capability came with DMX ?. Memory is getting fuzzy though.

EDIT:, Never mind, just read 512.

As to the similarity between ENR and Sensor, I recall a lawsuit that ETC won and Colortran lost. David Cunningham involved ?. A Google says the suit was about Colortrans i series dimmers, yet I recall something about DC designed ENR then turned around and sold the design to ETC, which became Sensor, Colortran sued and lost, then the ENR's starting melting and Colortran went bankrupt fixing the problems as well as settling the lawsuit.

This was all 20 years ago.

In the book Let There Be Light, in an interview with Robert Bell, DC specifically states that the ENR's melting problem did NOT cause the Colortran bankruptcy (page 97). Interestingly, he paid for half of the dimmer rack buss bar retrofits that fixed the problem. However, it did cause ill-will between DC and Colortran. DC and ETC won a big patent and royalty lawsuit against Colortran which basically bankrupted the company. Very interesting book.

In the book Let There Be Light, in an interview with Robert Bell, DC specifically states that the ENR's melting problem did NOT cause the Colortran bankruptcy (page 97). Interestingly, he paid for half of the dimmer rack buss bar retrofits that fixed the problem. However, it did cause ill-will between DC and Colortran. DC and ETC won a big patent and royalty lawsuit against Colortran which basically bankrupted the company. Very interesting book.

Thanks for the info.

I always lamented the demise of the independent Colortran. They made (and still make) a number of decent products - 1kw 6" fresnels that Altman would have done well to copy, the 15-30 1kw zoom that had the best lamp alignment system of any ellipsoidal ever produced, D192 dimmers that 25 years later are still bombproof, even the much maligned Prestige consoles, that were (IMO) the easiest and most operator friendly desks I've ever used.

Sad to see them not remain a major player in the business.

Fans are a high failure item in any electronic equipment. At least they are generally standard sizes and voltages so that finding a replacement to fit should not require parts from the manufacturer. CFM ratings will be in the ballpark if the physical size is the same. If you have a choice, choose ball bearings over sleeve bearings. Newark Electronics is where I do most of my fan buying.

Hello lighting world,

Thanks,
Scott

For anyone out there that needs support on the Colortran ENR, NSI Topaz, and/or Leviton Topaz Dimming and Control Lines, we are able to help! I am sorry that I was not on Control Booth in 2014 when the help was really needed, but I can answer any and all questions regarding these products. In addition, you can order replacement parts at www.goknight.com for these systems. Please let me know if you have any questions! Thank you. Mark Knight

I know this response is very late. But it does seem to me that you need to clean the rack and check the air flow modules on the control mods. It to me feels like the rack is doing that to keep from over loading. The ENR Rack I have came from my High School. We would have the same problem where the rack would shut down because of dust. For matter of fact back in 2004 we were in the middle of a performance of the musical Grease and the lighting board operator was not able to get any response from the system. We luckily still in intermission when this happened and were able to shut down the system and vacuum it out and it started working again with no problems the rest of the performances or weekend of performances.

Seeing as this thread has been left alone awhile, I figured I may as well post my recent ENR Woes.

A friend in my College program has invited me to come help him setup lighting for a community production of les miserables, he told me he's been unable to get the new console to talk to the dimmer.

The old console, an ETC Express 24/48, has no issues communicating with the dimmer at full speed, but refuses to work when the signal is first passed through an elation 4 way opto. Everything after on the DMX chain still works.

The new console, so help me god, is a Leprecon XC-350.
I've also attempted to use a uDMX USB adaptor, which worked with everything except this dimmer, despite being a rather slow 30Hz output.

It's a pair of 24 channel ENR units, with control modules 2102.

I've learned two things while trying to fix this:
1) The XC-350 is an atrocious console. It consistently decides to lag behind any live inputs, and has no configuration options to speak of.

2) ENRs are finicky things, aren't they...

My best guess is that these "Universal" ENR controllers aren't happy with the DMX Timings on the newer devices.

Attachments

• received_332644004139307.jpeg
    received_332644004139307.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 254
Seeing as this thread has been left alone awhile, I figured I may as well post my recent ENR Woes.

A friend in my College program has invited me to come help him setup lighting for a community production of les miserables, he told me he's been unable to get the new console to talk to the dimmer.

The old console, an ETC Express 24/48, has no issues communicating with the dimmer at full speed, but refuses to work when the signal is first passed through an elation 4 way opto. Everything after on the DMX chain still works.

The new console, so help me god, is a Leprecon XC-350.
I've also attempted to use a uDMX USB adaptor, which worked with everything except this dimmer, despite being a rather slow 30Hz output.

It's a pair of 24 channel ENR units, with control modules 2102.

I've learned two things while trying to fix this:
1) The XC-350 is an atrocious console. It consistently decides to lag behind any live inputs, and has no configuration options to speak of.

2) ENRs are finicky things, aren't they...

My best guess is that these "Universal" ENR controllers aren't happy with the DMX Timings on the newer devices.

Are you doubling down on the dimmer line with other things.

Did you try to run console straight to the dimmers?

If you want to spend money you could try one of these.
http://response-box.com/gear/decabox-midi-to-dmx-bridge/

Run dmx out of the xc350 into box and out midi to expression. Then control the dimmers that way. Super sketchy left wing but could work.

We've tried driving the dimmer directly from the console and dongle, as well as in a chain.

Now by the time I buy a midi-DMX box, i may as well get a DMX-CMX translator.

I happen to heave heard back from Leprecon support.

Their suggestion to get it working is to overload the console with outputs (they said two full universes) in order to slow the whole system down enough that the timings sync up with the ENR.

Does that strike anyone else as slightly insane?

I mean in theory it should work. But it’s just that a theory. As I doubt they hooked up a XC350 to a ENR rack and overloaded they console to slow it down.

The problem is do you have enough fixtures or devices to overload it that you can run constantly in order to you or dimmers syncing.

The more I thought about this today I would say maybe roll in a portable if you have to hookups and swing the circuits over if possible.

If not then I think a DMX CMX might be your best bet. The dmx midi box is super left field from the hip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back