Lee Colortran Far Cyc fixtures, replacing sockets

Hello,

We have some of these cyc lights (I believe they're now a Leviton product) and the sockets are starting to wear down to the point where they don't make contact with the lamp. I found replacements, but looking at the fixture, it appears that the sockets are pop riveted in place. Has anyone successfully replaced sockets in these? How'd it go? We'd, of course, like to replace all of these dinosaurs with new LED cyc lights, but we have to keep them running a little longer. Thanks in advance.

Eric

While I can't comment on replacing the sockets, I have "fond" memories of scraping melted gel off of the gel frames for these at the Chrysler theatre until they were recently replaced by LED battens. They made me nostalgic for kliegl CYC units with glass gels pretty quickly

Bat signal, @ship ! I believe he's currently in process of throwing away a bunch.

I've replaced several of these sockets before. Just remove the the three pieces to the reflector assembly and you can see what you're dealing with better.
I believe I drilled out the pop rivets to swap out the socket.... it's been too long ago. Just double-check that the socket button contacts are the correct distance apart before you pop the new rivets!
When you replace these with ColorSource CYC or SpectraCyc units you will be amazed at the weight loss and how many dimmers you recover, not to mention no more lamp and gel changes.

Last edited:
There are RSC based LED upgrades to these lights once good lamp base contact is established by cleaning and treating or replacement of the lamp socket. I have not compared luminous output, but most should be at least 500w in also no comparision of CRI. Semi-easy repair, though watch for heat damage to overall wiring inside the fixture. It's a concept that might be a good one but one I have not investigated.

And at a charged.. like $50 to $100.00 per hour dependant on the billing... for a six to eigh hour project per fixture... parts are a minor part of a professional service call price in parts. At this point, I have saved many strips or cycs' bud no longer do so given other more important fixtures to save. None are even in museum.

Hello,

We have some of these cyc lights (I believe they're now a Leviton product) and the sockets are starting to wear down to the point where they don't make contact with the lamp. I found replacements, but looking at the fixture, it appears that the sockets are pop riveted in place. Has anyone successfully replaced sockets in these? How'd it go? We'd, of course, like to replace all of these dinosaurs with new LED cyc lights, but we have to keep them running a little longer. Thanks in advance.

Eric

You're shortly going to have a bigger problem: the availability of the T3 lamps for these fixtures. These lamps are rapidly disappearing.

ST

Funny, just received a box of sockets for my Colortran cyc lights. I will drill the rivets and replace. Budget request is in for LED but who knows when that will be approved. On a side note I really want to demo the new Chauvet Cyc in my space. I have been asking multiple manufactures for a low profile unit for years at LDI. Finally someone listened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back