Leg Returns.. That can fly out to dead

The convention in my theatre is to tie our leg returns up to the hand rail of the gallery catwalk. This usually means about 1.5-2m of rope length from the return to the rail. Therefore legs can never be flown out more than 2m.
While this is fine during a season to reset and sweep, the working light coming from the wings and various levels of the fly floor are much less effective with all the drapery in and hanging low - Which becomes obvious on the odd occasion when we drop the returns and fly everything out to dead - and the light is perfect.

It has been suggested to run the return ropes up and over the grid, allowing the legs to fly out and in with the returns intact - Which I believe is on the right track, but going up as far as the grid will probably pose its own set of hurdles when doing something as simple as shifting leg positions... Anyway, I've been stewing on the idea and have plans to experiment a few configurations that I have conceived - But I do wonder if anybody out there is already employing their own techniques for a similar result?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back