Control/Dimming Lehigh Dimming, ever heard of it?

I would classify Lehigh as a "second tier" US theatrical dimming manufacturer similar to Dove Systems and Teatronics. The "first tier" would be ETC, Strand, NSI/Colortran, and possibly Electronics Diversified (before they sold to Cooper). The first tier manufacturers are the ones most often specified on bids and have the broadest product range, the second tier competitive on lowest-bid and smaller projects. Lehigh has been in business over 50 years which would be a little hard to do without producing quality products. They display at the trade shows like LDI regularly. No connection with Lehigh, just my opinion.

... They display at the trade shows like LDI regularly. ...
Yep. Many years ago, I inadvertently managed to piss them off in the first three minutes of talking to them.
I have been in the manufacturing end of stage and studio lighting for over 25 years. I have seen companies come and go, they flash onto the scene like a Quasar and end up a Black Hole. This industry has its leaders and followers, but you can bet your bottom dollar that things will change, the leaders will become followers, the followers will lead. I have just read a string of complaints about Lehigh Electric Products Company and in the end the connected loads were improperly lamped. The Lehigh system was fine. The real problem was human error. My old friend Steve Terry, patiently standing by in Madison, Wisconsin has seen this over and over again, as have I. Let's be careful out there (as they use to say on "Hill Street Blues") about damaging one of the companies of our industry. Do not put all of your eggs in one basket. I have worked for Strand (twice), Kliegl Bros., DeSisti Lighting, and Altman Stage Lighting, and all of these are or were contributors to the industry. If, somewhere down the road, you are left alone with one stage lighting manufacturer you will rue the day that you started on that road. Now, as Eastern Regional Sales Manager, let me say a few words in defense of Lehigh...first of all, I am glad Celebration Mike found his problem but nowhere do I see him mention a call to Lehigh Electric (610-395-3386 or Welcome to Lehigh Lighting - Controls, Dimming, Fixtures). Secondly, in case you do not know this, Lehigh Electric is one of the oldest continuous stage lighting manufacturers in existence (I say the oldest because what we know as Strand actually happened in 1969) having been founded in 1961. It is family-owned and operated since its founding and one of the most financially solid companies that I have ever worked for. Management is conservative, not quick to jump on every fad. All R&D is done in-house, which cannot be said for many others in the industry that go outside or buy companies wholesale. Lehigh is now [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG] in the stage construction market, ahead of Leviton, ET/Genlyte/now Philiips, and EDI. We are just as strong in the Commercial Architectural market where we compete with Lutron, Lightolier, Leviton, and Lithonia. Please note: your company must begin with the letter "L" or you are not a factor in this market. Lehigh is a factor. I could go on and on but I am sure you have already tired of this rant. In closing, please do not talk any manufacturer into the ground...you are talking about the livelihood of employees, retirees, family, and associate companies. And if you have a problem with a product, go to the source first. Have a good summer...Damian Delaney, Lehigh Electric Products Co., [email protected]. (aka: Naimad)

Last edited:
Hah, I remember that thread ^.

I see a pattern between that conversation and the OP's situation. I know you don't like or want to like the dimming system you have, but it sounds like the real issue is with the installation of the system. Now I could be very wrong - it's hard to tell from here.

It makes me wonder why there are so many bad Lehigh installs. Maybe they're just not as picky about who installs their gear. I know that ETC, for example, requires an ETC certified tech to activate every system they install - Lehigh might be well-served in following a similar route.

But one thing we always say on Controlbooth is to go to the source first whenever there's a problem.

My only experience with their dimming systems is one of the buildings where I work has all their lecture halls wired with them, and they've been in place > 15 years with only the occasional failed SCR. The Millenium console I got to use was a different matter, we could BSOD that on command.

Well, I probably wouldn't hate my new Lehigh system as much, it's just that I was forced to downgrade from a perfectly fine etc sensor system.

Then please don't blame Lehigh as they were likely not the company that said the old dimming needed replacement.

I've been following both threads and I think it's important to echo a couple of statements already made....and I hope that there others reading this that perhaps might be able to put this in their pocket for later. It's a good example to note....

- When there is a problem, please give the manufacturer, the installer and the dealer a call, and also give them a chance to sort out the problem. Folks, imagine what complement of new lighting, sound and video gear could be purchased and installed here instead, if a new dimmer rack was indeed not needed.
- There are bad installers, bad dealers, defective parts runs from manufacturers, and bad designs. Fortunately, all of such are quite rare.
- There are times when repairs are a more cost-effective solution than replacement, except in the case of very old or very damaged equipment.
- There are very old [1992] Sensor systems running every day. There are also equally old Lehigh systems doing the same.
- Let's start by tackling the specific failure issues in the other thread as getting the lights on, right now, is most important.

It sounds like we are unhappy because the Sensor system got yanked without a thorough look-see. Well, it also sounds like the same is now happening with the Lehigh rack.

Thanks much,

David

Reactions: Les
Well, I don't disagree with David, but I did interpret the "downgrade" as a change or substitution at bid time rather than a replacement. There are some - many perhaps - dimming systems replaced that don't need to be. Short of major water and/or fire damage, I'd be surprised if any Sensor or CD80 dimmer bank couldn't be renovated and function like new. I oversaw a renovation of a six rack D192 system with architectural controls and it works like new, at a savings of over $300,000 for replacement. SCR packs, choke coils, and a circuit breaker, along with a lot of copper and labor, don't usually go bad. Clean everything and replace the electronics if necessary and its probably good as new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back