Conventional Fixtures Lens Thickness

Dustincoc

Does anyone know how thick the different Altman 360Q lenses are? Some of our fixtures have the wrong lenses in them so I'm going to pull all the lenses and straighten them all out. Anyone have any ideas on how to store the lenses while they're out? I've got about 200 sets so I can't just pile them somewhere.

Does anyone know how thick the different Altman 360Q lenses are? Some of our fixtures have the wrong lenses in them so I'm going to pull all the lenses and straighten them all out. Anyone have any ideas on how to store the lenses while they're out? I've got about 200 sets so I can't just pile them somewhere.

As soon as a chance I'll take a pic of how we store ours for you.

Does anyone know how thick the different Altman 360Q lenses are? Some of our fixtures have the wrong lenses in them so I'm going to pull all the lenses and straighten them all out. ...
It's kind of difficult to measure the thickness at the center of a plano-convex lens. If you have one of each, they will be in order, from thickest to thinnest, 6x9, 6x12, 6x16, 6x22. Best to take one of each out in the sun at noon and (as if burning an insect) measure the focal length.

Some useful info in this thread.

As for storage, lots of milk crates and bubble wrap. Don't overload, multiple lenses get heavy quickly.

I find it fairly easy to measure the thicknesses by placing the lens on a nice flat table with the curved side down and measuring with a tape measure how high up the flat side of the lens is. Here is a listing of how to know which lens goes in which light, derekleffew is correct that the thickest is in the 6x9 and they get thinner from there, but it is worth mentioning that the 6x16 and 6x22 both use the 3/4" thick lens, only the 6x16 has two of them. It is also worth mentioning that in the units with two lenses, the curved sides will always face each other.

6x9 - 2 @ 1 5/16”

6x12 - 2 @ 1”

6x16 - 2 @ 3/4”

6x22 - 1 @ 3/4”

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I start tomorrow. I also gotta call somebody(Gotta ask the landlord) to get the power turned on, then I attack the apatment with bleach.

Slight hijack... I've got some 360s, but I don't know the dimensions. They have two lenses. Are the two lenses within the fixture the same? I intentionally swapped the rear and front lens positions in one fixture. The exterior of the objective lens had some liquid splatter on it and apparently burn in, and it wouldn't clean off with alcohol or name-brand glass cleaner. I figured it would be better for the etched spots to scatter light inside the can and then be collected somewhat by the second lens, than to have the light scattered on the way out of the can.

Have I goofed?

I think you're ok. The two lenses are the same.

Good to know the actual dimensions, normally I just compare known measurements or woud search out the focal length lens formula based on the dia of the lens and its height that is not so easy to use.

On the spots, if you have access to a buffer wheel and can get a fresh wheel with glass buffing compound, it might be possible to buff the lens in removing whats on it. Than re-clean the lens to remove the compound residue. Just bought a buffer for our own conventional fixture department and it's tops for working on fixtures. That and the dish washer with lots of Jet Dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back