Leprecon failure

Ifrit

We put up an outdoor show. I have one
Leprecon 4 Channel twistlock Dimmer Pack High Power 4800W for dimmable LED string lights that are 2w a bulb with 60 bulbs. I also have 8 birdies with 60w bulbs. The power is run on 150' of cable and dimmer dmx is going to a showbaby. I'm use an etc nomad. The leprecon is there weeks old.

Issue: the leprecon will, a few times now, stop receiving power. The light up breakers will not be lit up and all power will seem to be lost to the leprecon. I can flip the breakers on and off and it won't bring power back. If I go back to the outlets (two separate circuits) and unplug and replug the cables the leprecon will receive power again. I've tried using different circuits with same issue arising. Unfortunately this happened 15 minutes before the start of our opening night last night and I had to hot power the units as a temporary fix.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have not contacted Leprecon yet. I also put in an older dimmer pack, a DP-DMX20L as a substitute this morning and the same thing happened. Continuity tests on both packs show they are both working properly. Is it possible that the dimmable LED string lights might be tripping something? They seem to be the only oddity of the system. Everything else I've used before. I'm not certain as to why that would be the case though

I'd be tempted to do some old-school troubleshooting by putting in a multi-plug adapter where the dimmer plugs in (after any extension cords) and plugging a small 120V light of some sort in next to the dimmer. Maybe the power is getting turned off for some reason outside of the dimmer pack--perhaps something like an automatically switched outlet with an occupancy sensor controlling it.

You got a model number for the Lepercon. If you are tripping the breakers you will have to hard reset the power to get the pack working again. I have a feeling you have an under powered dimmer with the wrong tag on it. I would also look for a short somewhere in your 150’ run and when heated up with load it could be shifting. What gauge of wire are you running for that 150’ as well?

We put up an outdoor show. I have one
Leprecon 4 Channel twistlock Dimmer Pack High Power 4800W for dimmable LED string lights that are 2w a bulb with 60 bulbs. I also have 8 birdies with 60w bulbs. The power is run on 150' of cable and dimmer dmx is going to a showbaby. I'm use an etc nomad. The leprecon is there weeks old.

Looking in my crystal ball..... you are running 150' of orange extension cord that is slightly smaller than your little finger.
You need to measure the voltage at the dimmer end of the cord. The problem is not in BOTH dimmer packs.
EDIT: As @Amiers inquired, what is the gauge of the extension cord? It will say something like 14 AWG on it.

Last edited:
Looking in my crystal ball..... you are running 150' of orange extension cord that is slightly smaller than your little finger.
You need to measure the voltage at the dimmer end of the cord. The problem is not in BOTH dimmer packs.
150' and likely with mated U-Grounds and tape along the way.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back