Leprecon LD-360 and ETC ION

I am setting up a small plot for a show coming up and I am trying to use a Leprecon LD-360 6ch Dimmer with my ETC ION. The problem I am having is that while the indicator on the Dimmer shows that it is getting good DMX it will not turn any lights on. Am I missing something?
Have you given the pack a valid DMX starting address?
Have you patched the packs channels in the board's soft patch?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Have you given the pack a valid DMX starting address?
Have you patched the packs channels in the board's soft patch?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
O.K., Let's go down the road to silliness. Obviously you have power on the pack or its DMX indicator wouldn't be illuminated.
Obviously the board is outputting DMX and you have a cable between the console's output and the dimmer's input or, again, the pack's DMX indicator wouldn't be illuminated. Do you have any inhibits in place on the console preventing it from sending DMX levels to the packs channels? I guess what I'm saying is: It's possible to be sending DMX data to the pack without sending it levels above zero. One more dumb question: Do the lights you have connected to the pack's outputs work?
It's likely going to be something dumb so keep plodding, kick yourself when you find it, and chalk it up to experience for next time.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
O.K., Let's go down the road to silliness. Obviously you have power on the pack or its DMX indicator wouldn't be illuminated.
Obviously the board is outputting DMX and you have a cable between the console's output and the dimmer's input or, again, the pack's DMX indicator wouldn't be illuminated. Do you have any inhibits in place on the console preventing it from sending DMX levels to the packs channels? I guess what I'm saying is: It's possible to be sending DMX data to the pack without sending it levels above zero. One more dumb question: Do the lights you have connected to the pack's outputs work?
It's likely going to be something dumb so keep plodding, kick yourself when you find it, and chalk it up to experience for next time.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
When I plug into my sensor 3 rack I am able to control them as well as when I go direct into my LEDs so I know I am sending good DMX. At first I figured it was something wrong with my chain so I put the dimmer direct to the board. Also I have check all the lights and they work. This is the secound unit I tried.

You'd hope so if the pack has an indicator labelled DMX.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
Actually the indicator light on this dimmer pack is only labeled "status" if I remember correctly, and it is made in a 5 pin DMX, 3 pin DMX, and 3 pin Multiplex (microplex) model. The input should be labeled MPX or DMX, but it isn't always so. You might get a signal light on the three pin models whether you plug in MPX or DMX because the ground and data pins are the same.

When I plug into my sensor 3 rack I am able to control them as well as when I go direct into my LEDs so I know I am sending good DMX. At first I figured it was something wrong with my chain so I put the dimmer direct to the board. Also I have check all the lights and they work. This is the secound unit I tried.

Three questions. Is this pack 3 or 5 pin? Do you have a DMX terminator in the output of the dimmer pack? It is recommended by the manufacturer. Is this the HP version of the dimmer? If so you may need to plug in both power cables to make it work properly.

Three questions. Is this pack 3 or 5 pin? Do you have a DMX terminator in the output of the dimmer pack? It is recommended by the manufacturer. Is this the HP version of the dimmer? If so you may need to plug in both power cables to make it work properly.

5pin, it does not have a terminator when it was tried by itself. But when it was wired in line with the rest of the system the line ended with a self terminating LED. Either way I have always used these units in the past without a terminator without trouble. I have talked with both ETC and leprecon and leprecon tech support is all at a conference and can't talk till next week.

According to the manual, the status indicator on an LD-360 DMX shows:

Not lighted = no signal
Fast flash (4 Hz) = signal present, pack address too high
Slow flash (2 Hz) = OK
Steadily lighted = pack inoperative

Update: I am now acually at the theatre. It is a LD-360 HP. I have confirmed it is DMX. The new development is that it has the fast flash for address to high for anything less than adress 512 and slow flash for ok above 512. However when I send a signal from the board to address 1-1024 I still get nothing

I believe these have some menu options for stand along functionality. Make sure your dimmer curve is set for Linear (LN I believe). You can also try a factory reset which I believe is achieved by holding menu and then turning on the breakers for channels 1-3.

I believe these have some menu options for stand along functionality. Make sure your dimmer curve is set for Linear (LN I believe). You can also try a factory reset which I believe is achieved by holding menu and then turning on the breakers for channels 1-3.
There are two generations of Leprecon tree packs. The ones in question are the first generation that only a have thumbwheel DMX address setting. The newer generation has the menu system you describe.

There are two generations of Leprecon tree packs. The ones in question are the first generation that only a have thumbwheel DMX address setting. The newer generation has the menu system you describe.
And the original metal ones were rock solid little wonders of the world.
The 'power windows' never fail if you don't have 'power windows'.
Personally, I wish they'd have retained the original packs as they were; solid, dependable, basic dimmers that AlWAYS worked and they never re-addressed themselves.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

And the original metal ones were rock solid little wonders of the world.
The 'power windows' never fail if you don't have 'power windows'.
Personally, I wish they'd have retained the original packs as they were; solid, dependable, basic dimmers that AlWAYS worked and they never re-addressed themselves.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
I happen to have a pair of first-gen LD-360-DMX-HP Edison output packs for sale if anyone is interested. :)

They are very solid, but they do sometimes lose their address setting by fat-fingering plugging in the data cables. The DMX wheels are very close to the DMX connectors and more than once I have spun something accidentally and have to go back to my rig patch documents to figure out what it's supposed to be. If it's permanently mounted I agree it's not likely to change.

The other flaw are the poor strain reliefs on the power cables. Virtually all of the packs I've seen have these broken off if they've had any amount of portable use at all. The new generation abandoned strain relief entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back