Leprecon ULD 360 Dimming issue

Walnut

Hi All,

I am having an odd problem with my Leprecon. My space uses 2 ULD 360 Leprecons to pump my dimmer count up to 42. These have been here since before i began this job 4 years ago and I am not sure when they were actually manufactured. the leprecon in question was purchased about 6 years ago and serviced about 3 years ago.

I have 1 fresnel plugged into one of the 3 channel circuits along with one other practical (less than 40 watts). The other 3 channel circuit is filled with practicals (approximately 600 watts). The issue is that the fresenel is not dimming linearly. It doesn't start ghosting until the console sets it at around 18 and after that it dims the rest of the way to Full correctly. I have tested other lights in that circuit and in the other set of circuits and they do the same thing. The leprecon is set to linear dimming (the second thing I checked after the instrument itself).

I know it isn't a wattage issue because the issue persists no matter how many things i have on.

My worry is that i will need to replace the leprecon and I was wondering if anyone had any experience or ideas that might fix this problem

Move the fresnel to a different circuit on the ULD and see if it keeps ghosting.

The guts of your dimmer could just be old and need replacing.

Hi All,

I am having an odd problem with my Leprecon. My space uses 2 ULD 360 Leprecons to pump my dimmer count up to 42. These have been here since before i began this job 4 years ago and I am not sure when they were actually manufactured. the leprecon in question was purchased about 6 years ago and serviced about 3 years ago.

I have 1 fresnel plugged into one of the 3 channel circuits along with one other practical (less than 40 watts). The other 3 channel circuit is filled with practicals (approximately 600 watts). The issue is that the fresenel is not dimming linearly. It doesn't start ghosting until the console sets it at around 18 and after that it dims the rest of the way to Full correctly. I have tested other lights in that circuit and in the other set of circuits and they do the same thing. The leprecon is set to linear dimming (the second thing I checked after the instrument itself).

I know it isn't a wattage issue because the issue persists no matter how many things i have on.

My worry is that i will need to replace the leprecon and I was wondering if anyone had any experience or ideas that might fix this problem
@Walnut You have to keep in mind, we're not there with you. From my point of view I'm confused and have the following comments and queries:
You're using the term "Leprecon" repeatedly, in your mind you know which Leprecon you're referring to.
I'm understanding you're using two Leprecon ULD 360's.
This adds 12 dimmers and brings your total dimmer count to 42.
What are your other 30 dimmers?

You don't clearly specify your control console.
You appear to infer your control console is also another "Leprecon". If so, which model and with which options fitted?
If I'm following along correctly: A Leprecon console is controlling a random assortment of dimmers totaling 30 plus two Leprecon six-packs.
Each of the Leprecon ULD360's have two line cords.
My questions: Is all control via the DMX512 protocol?
Are all of your dimmers powered from the same breaker panel??
Are all of your dimmers connected to the same neutral???
Have you confirmed the integrity of ALL neutral connections????
Have you measured any / all voltages on any / all of your neutrals with reference to a known good ground?????

My thinking is: Are you certain NONE of your neutrals are have shifting references to ground??????
If any of the 4 line cords powering your last 12 Leprecon dimmers were floating, it's conceivable any consecutive group of three ULD360 dimmers could be misbehaving due to their control circuitry's various reference points changing as a function of varying amounts of current flowing as control levels vary.
I'm sorry if I'm being as confusing as your original post.
I'm posting from Canada north of Donald's walls, perhaps I'm not seeing over or through Donnie's walls correctly.
I'll keep an eye on your thread and play along at home.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@Walnut You have to keep in mind, we're not there with you. From my point of view I'm confused and have the following comments and queries:
You're using the term "Leprecon" repeatedly, in your mind you know which Leprecon you're referring to.
I'm understanding you're using two Leprecon ULD 360's.
This adds 12 dimmers and brings your total dimmer count to 42.
What are your other 30 dimmers?

You don't clearly specify your control console.
You appear to infer your control console is also another "Leprecon". If so, which model and with which options fitted?
If I'm following along correctly: A Leprecon console is controlling a random assortment of dimmers totaling 30 plus two Leprecon six-packs.
Each of the Leprecon ULD360's have two line cords.
My questions: Is all control via the DMX512 protocol?
Are all of your dimmers powered from the same breaker panel??
Are all of your dimmers connected to the same neutral???
Have you confirmed the integrity of ALL neutral connections????
Have you measured any / all voltages on any / all of your neutrals with reference to a known good ground?????

My thinking is: Are you certain NONE of your neutrals are have shifting references to ground??????
If any of the 4 line cords powering your last 12 Leprecon dimmers were floating, it's conceivable any consecutive group of three ULD360 dimmers could be misbehaving due to their control circuitry's various reference points changing as a function of varying amounts of current flowing as control levels vary.
I'm sorry if I'm being as confusing as your original post.
I'm posting from Canada north of Donald's walls, perhaps I'm not seeing over or through Donnie's walls correctly.
I'll keep an eye on your thread and play along at home.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Hey Ron,

Sorry about that, I posted all of that in the middle of my work call.

I have two 6 channel ULD 360s, my other 30 are 2k dimmers with permanent boxes in the space.

My console is an ETC Element on the latest patch all of the control is dmx 512.

The leprecon in question is powered from a different breaker than the rest of the dimmers. I am not sure they are connected to the same neutral and I am planning to swap out my problem unit with a spare adn see if that works.

Sorry I am being so confusing. It has already been a long and trying weekend with this show

The ULD360 can set each channel for one of four modes:

1. Linear output
2. Non-dim
3. Fluorescent output
4. Fixed output level

It sounds like the fresnel channel is set to fluorescent, which turns on at 20%, then goes up from there. Set it to linear for normal operation.
https://www.leprecon.com/manuals

I got up there and went through all of those option when I got in this morning. Everything is where it should be. I am going to replace it with a spare from our other space and see if that solves it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back