Let it snow

Mechro

I am looking for a specific recomendation on a plastic or paper snow to drop from a snow cradle. I tried the brand from Norcostco several years back, and was never happy with the results. Really looking for something that will fall slower, but still has decent size so that you can still see it 100' away.

Rosebrand makes a paper snow that is flame treated. I use the shredded plastic kind in my theater but then, no one is more that 30' away from the stage in our thrust.

I use this and it is sweeeeeet. You can make huge "flakes' to small slow flakes. Also I use a fan and can shoot it 30-40' into a room.

CITC Little Blizzard Snow Machine

Those are ok in a HUGE room or Proscenium. From their website under 'specs'
• Sound: Little BlizzardTM: 71 - 75 db

75 Db ! That's like a couple of people shouting backstage.

Who knows where that measurement was from - was it three feet? If so these are installed 12ft PLUS in the air. I use them in ball rooms and you can't hear them when the people are in the room.

Sound proofing material works wonders. I use it on everything including MQ generators and they quiet down to a whisper. Manufacturers do not make equipment quiet as a rule since most situations don't require absolute silence.

: SOUNDPROOFING & More Soundproofing! Super Soundproofing Co.

Silent Source: Acoustic Foam, Acoustical Soundproofing Materials, Whisperwedge, Materials, Acoustical Panel, Profoam, Tecnifoam, Fireflex, and more

Last edited:
Manufacturers do not make equipment quiet as a rule since most situations don't require absolute silence.

Most theatrical applications do. Stage level, 12 feet up, or even 25 - 75dB is going to sound like someone backstage running a shop vac. My theater purchased a similar model - not the same brand, but it is completely useless for any of our stage applications. We have build lined cases for it, played with position, and the best we have been able to get out of it is slightly quieter Shop Vac. I will try to find the brand we have, but for twice the price the manufacturer offered a quiet model.

Most theatrical applications do. Stage level, 12 feet up, or even 25 - 75dB is going to sound like someone backstage running a shop vac. My theater purchased a similar model - not the same brand, but it is completely useless for any of our stage applications. We have build lined cases for it, played with position, and the best we have been able to get out of it is slightly quieter Shop Vac. I will try to find the brand we have, but for twice the price the manufacturer offered a quiet model.

I'll second (third) the vote for the Little Blizzard. I'm currently wrapping up a production of White Christmas and I have two of them on 2nd electric. We close the run tomorrow, but I'll try to shoot some video for reference as to how loud they actually are before strike next week. I was initially worried about the noise, as well, and it is a bit intimidating when you first fire them up. However, once they're flown you can't hear them running on stage provided there's some sort of musical number going on. (In my case, there most definitely is - be it the Finale or the encore plus crowd noise. YMMV.) There are also several adjustments that can be made via DMX and/or physical switches that provide for variable output and noise. I have two fans running as well to "dry out"/disperse everything, and even they are hard to pick up when hidden behind the borders. I'd even go so far as to say that the noise of the HVAC running in the 800-seat space is more prominent than the dispersion fans or the snow machines themselves.

Last edited:
I'll second (third) the vote for the Little Blizzard. I'm currently wrapping up a production of White Christmas and I have two of them on 2nd electric. We close the run tomorrow, but I'll try to shoot some video for reference as to how loud they actually are before strike next week. I was initially worried about the noise, as well, and it is a bit intimidating when you first fire them up. However, once they're flown you can't hear them running on stage provided there's some sort of musical number going on. (In my case, there most definitely is - be it the Finale or the encore plus crowd noise. YMMV.) There are also several adjustments that can be made via DMX and/or physical switches that provide for variable output and noise. I have two fans running as well to "dry out"/disperse everything, and even they are hard to pick up when hidden behind the borders. I'd even go so far as to say that the noise of the HVAC running in the 800-seat space is more prominent than the dispersion fans or the snow machines themselves.

I don't know if you've ever been to the mall and seen that one odd looking guy pouring water in a bowl then sticking his hands in it, and handing it to children to touch... this guy is selling snow, this stuff is great, never tried it in a snow cradle, but you can buy it in bulk for cheap!

You do put a special or two on the snow, yes? r66 works very nicely

I was not amused one spring when i realized that the nutcracker crew had neatly swept up their plastic snow, then disposed of it outside in the snow bank

I have to agree about the Lil Blizzards being LOUD! We have two and get away with the noise during the singing finale - though you can still hear and distinguish them. We wanted to use them during the dialogue street scene preceding the singing, but the noise was too much.

Umm, we're a Proscenium house with virtually no fly space - these are a foot upstage of the Proscenium - and the machine bottoms are level with the 18' header.

You do put a special or two on the snow, yes? r66 works very nicely

I was not amused one spring when i realized that the nutcracker crew had neatly swept up their plastic snow, then disposed of it outside in the snow bank
I am doing a show requiring snow and have opted to use the snow cradle approach. Could you elaborate on how you would use a special to light this? I'm a new TD volunteering at a high school and lighting is my short fall. Thank you.

One profile spot from each side, in line with the snow bag. low works best . Focused so as the snow falls it is lit by these fixtures. Without these you will not see the snow till it happens to fall within some beam of light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back