Leviton DDS 6000 Dimmer Pack DMX

pgus

I'm having a problem with one of my Leviton DDS-6000-15 dimmer packs. I'm unable to control any lights plugged into it via dmx. It's not an addressing issue- I was able to get other DDS-6000s to work just fine. I'm able to control fixtures after it in the data chain, but on this pack the dmx indicator light doesn't come on. For some reason this pack just doesn't recognize dmx signal. Lights plugged into the dimmer just run at full and don't respond to dmx, even after toggling dip switch #8- which is the lamp test. There doesn't appear to be anything obviously broken, corroded or disconnected inside. Anyone else run into a similar issue?

Is it possible that the pack was set to Non-dim via the internal dip switch?

Yeah it would. I didn't realize they were just staying on.... Oh, And the DMX light is not on... Ok. Stumped. I'll leave it to the Big Brains.

If the DMX light is off and switch #8 does not turn lights off and on then most likely the processor on the circuit board is not running. If you have the case open you can try to reseat all chips in sockets by pressing down on them. If the circuit board looks OK otherwise then inspect pins on chips for any discoloration. The processor is the big square chip and the program ROM is the big rectangular chip.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my initial post- dip switch #8 does turn the lights on and off- I just meant it wasn't a matter of the dipswitch somehow overriding dmx. Both the processor and the ROM are seated correctly and apart from some dust on them, there doesn't appear to be any discoloration of the pins.

For the dds 9800 with the dmx upgrade I have had this issue twice and fixed it in different ways. First time it was the dmx chip as Mac Hosehead has suggested. The second time that didn't work so i spoke with leviton and they sent me the info below.

To reset the dimmer CPU, follow these steps:
1. Turn off the power to the dimmer pack.
2. Remove the six screws from the front panel and tilt it towards you so you can see the
back of it, but not so far that the wires come unplugged.
3. Short the two P4 pins on the back of the front panel with a shunt (or a screwdriver or
other metal object if no shunt is available). The pins are just below the left side of the
heat sink which may still be very hot.
4. Power up the dimmer.
5. Wait 5 to 10 seconds before removing the short across the two P4 pins.
The dimmer CPU should now be reset.

Hope this helps.

I'm sure you've tried this but if not.... I've had many times where a dds 6000 would not respond to DMX, (the signal indicator led is out) power cycling the unit has restored normal function. When this problem happens, all downstream units are not responding too, so power cycling them all, in turn, has usually solved the problem for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back