Leviton DDS 6000

TDChris

Question that I'm hoping someone can answer...

I have two portable Leviton DDS 6000 dimmer packs. Each has four channels. I am only running three source four 575w on each pack.

Each pack has two plugs that I have plugged into a surge protector (two surge protectors, one for each dimmer pack).

Periodically, the surge protectors trip and the lights shut down.

Anyone know why that might be happening? I feel like I am not pushing too many amps to the power strip.

Does it have to do with plugging both plugs into one power strip and then plugging that into an Edison outlet? Do you think my problem might be rectified by skipping the surge protector and going straight into the wall? If so, should I separate them out among two wall outlets?

I've never worked with a portable system before. My old Dove board would easily run four 575w Source Fours in the same manner with no problems whatsoever. I'm truly confused.

Thanks in advance.

Assuming you have a 15 amp breaker, you have 1800 watts (less when you figure in resistance and all of that fun stuff). Running 3x 575 S4s pulls 1725 watts. Most breakers also trip around 80% of their capacity. So you need to find a separate circuit for each Edison if your pulling from a 15 amp breaker.

If it is a 20 amp breaker, you have 2400 watts which is plenty to run the 3 S4s.

My rule of thumb is if it has multiple power inputs, run it off multiple circuits because that is how it was designed to work.

A question for someone else: Unless otherwise stated, these two power inputs (X and Y we'll call them) should be run off the same phase right? Or does it make a difference?

So you are plugging BOTH cables from each pack into a single surge protector?
The surge protectors are probably not rated to hold a full 15A load continuous, if you'd like to keep using surge protectors use one for each half of each dimmer.
The DDS 6000+ is designed with two cords to maximize the load.

DDS 6000-15: 120 VAC 1800 Watts max (one power source)
DDS 6000-20: 120 VAC 2400 Watts max (one power source)
DDS 6000Plus-15: 120 VAC 3600 Watts max (two power sources)
DDS 6000Plus-20: 120 VAC 4800 Watts max (two power sources)

to wolfman, phase won't matter, if it did it would be illegal for it to have two input cord sets.

I'd suggest running without the power-bars, and making sure you stay under 1800w overall if you want to try and keep one pack on one circuit. 3x575 is 1725w which is close enough to 1800w. Really each cord should be run to its own 15A circuit!

Perhaps I misinterpreted what I see around here a lot about only loading dimmers to 80%? The reasoning behind that is because the breaker will trip right? So wouldn't the breaker in the panel trip around 80% as well?

You can load dimmer loads to 100%. There is an electrical code rule that is pretty universal, this "80% rule" restricts loading conductors to 80% if used for "continuous loads" which dimmers do not qualify for. Now technically if you want to get technical, if your dimmers are left on full for over 3 hours with no change it could be interpreted as a continuous load however the dimmers are designed to work to 100%. Most breakers also trip at 100%, unless they are "weak" or designed to trip earlier like ones used for large motor loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back