leviton innovator

nuggetman

I'm doing lights for an upcoming Joseph... show

This is my first time doing lights outside of my HS, where I've been using a Strand 300 series for 3 years. So needless to say, I've never even seen, much less used this board (the Leviton Innovator)

Anyone ever used one before? Opinions?

if its the same as the colortran and i'm pretty sure it is. its an interesting board with many strange and unusual quirks about it. But if you can understand it, and knwo how it sowks and "thinks" then it is a decent board to use

Also make sure you save a lot. It has a habit of loosing cue information for us, but it has a lot of decent features, lacks some from the more modern boards, but chances are, if you need to do it, it can be done.

Just running conventional lights it might be okay. I returned three of them as faulty before convincing the money people to buy a different brand - each had different errors that affected show quality, particularly when using multiple DMX devices. Cues were lost or corrupted, and other odd quirks. Back up your show regularly, if you can stand the long drive time saving onto a floppy disk.

Just running conventional lights it might be okay. I returned three of them as faulty before convincing the money people to buy a different brand - each had different errors that affected show quality, particularly when using multiple DMX devices. Cues were lost or corrupted, and other odd quirks. Back up your show regularly, if you can stand the long drive time saving onto a floppy disk.
I used one for three years and I think it did a better job with movers than the Emphasis system I'm using now. Dedicated encoders make life much easier. Programming movers into the cue stack has a few interesting quirks that had me tearing out hair until I figured it out. It's not a difficult board to use, but one needs to spend a little quality time with it beforehand...

I'm mostly reiterating. It's a decent desk that you can get to do about anything that the Expression line can do, and maybe a little more, but it's quirky and a little flakey. It's the only console I've had actually crash on me, or have had to reboot. Often when changing the patch, the changes just won't "take" until I reboot.

If using movers, building some macros will really help. Make one that does "device 1 enter enter, device 2 enter enter" etc. Then when you're in a cue with mover, run that marco, which will capture all the movers, and hit back. The movers stay captured and you can record that cue (or a follow cue) that presets them (a "mark cue" in some lingo).

Feel free to contact me if you need any specific help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back