Light Board, and IT Network issues

There seems to be some confusion here about the Ion obtaining an IP address automatically, from a DHCP server, versus it acting as the DHCP server. It needs to get an IP address from somewhere, whether it be from a DHCP server, or you set manually as a static IP.

based on the description of an "old" ION and given the charitable assumption of it being an ION Classic then it "can" serve as a DHCP server in which case it can self assign an IP and distribute IP addresses...

PG 488
"Ion Classic can provide a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) address server. DHCP is a TCP/IP protocol that dynamically assigns an IP address to a network device when it requests one"

Just to add a talking point to your facility IT department, gear that is using E1.31 (sACN) to control a lighting system is machine-gunning repetitive packets. Tell your IT guys that your lighting equipment, by design and when working properly will appear as a DDOS attack to the data network (routers and smart switches will try to throttle and disconnect your hosts) and that to save you both trouble you really need to be on an isolated collision domain (i.e. parallel not interconnected network) for the purpose of your control equipment.
As far as the WiFi AP discussion I agree totally with @jtweigant that you could use an off-the-shelf low power 802.11 b/g/n home router set to auto-frequency hop, and use only 2.4 GHz radio (simply plug all your equipment to the "LAN" jacks connect nothing to the "WAN" jack) and you'll be up and running no sweat.
If the IT guys question you about the rogue Wifi SSID showing up, just tell them one of your hands must be running their own AP for gaming during breaks and you'll talk to them.

Or even better don’t broadcast the sysid. You can still connect by naming it explicitly on the other equipment. Without special equipment they will never even know it’s there

Or even better don’t broadcast the sysid. You can still connect by naming it explicitly on the other equipment. Without special equipment they will never even know it’s there
Most enterprise grade APs will still be able to detect the BSSID which is an invisible identifier that the radio will always broadcast. Through the webUI of my access points I can see any 802.11 network being broadcast, SSID visible or not.

Just to add a talking point to your facility IT department, gear that is using E1.31 (sACN) to control a lighting system is machine-gunning repetitive packets. Tell your IT guys that your lighting equipment, by design and when working properly will appear as a DDOS attack to the data network (routers and smart switches will try to throttle and disconnect your hosts) and that to save you both trouble you really need to be on an isolated collision domain (i.e. parallel not interconnected network) for the purpose of your control equipment.
Not entirely. sACN is natively Multicast, which switches and routers know how to deal with with little to no problem, and doesn't consume significant amount of network resources. Each sACN universe uses about 1mbps of network bandwidth.

However, Broadcast traffic tends to get shutdown by switches, but even then switches and routers can be configured to allow a Broadcast storm. Way back in the day, if you used a Hub instead of a switch with a Multicast protocol, you'd get a Broadcast Storm.

which switches and routers know how to deal with with little to no problem

Some switches know how. We encountered older switches (and even a modern one like the Ubiquiti) that would stumble when hit with a lot of multicast traffic. Ubiquiti eventually released a patch that helped, but I discovered that it can indeed be a stumbling block since most enterprise appliances don't really use multicast (except Apple and printers it seems) and most AV stuff uses it extensively (Dante, sACN, NDI, etc).

Some switches know how. We encountered older switches (and even a modern one like the Ubiquiti) that would stumble when hit with a lot of multicast traffic. Ubiquiti eventually released a patch that helped, but I discovered that it can indeed be a stumbling block since most enterprise appliances don't really use multicast (except Apple and printers it seems) and most AV stuff uses it extensively (Dante, sACN, NDI, etc).
Yeah, that should have said *most* switches.

Indeed there are some brands such as Ubiquiti that claim to be "enterprise grade" but often lack essential enterprise grade features. I use them in our office, but would never deploy one to a customer. Their APs are great though.

AV protocols do use multicast extensively, and while some IT systems do use multicast, it still tends to scare IT staff. There are some manufacturers that are trying to make networking much more approachable for Theatre and AV folk, Netgear and Luminex have switches that are click to configure, and have dedicated AV support teams for their products.

My approach to this:

Campus IT gave us a port on their LAN, in our own VLAN so I could VPN back into it if necessary, and with access to the Internet.

I plugged a consumer Wifi router into it, properly configured, and put my production network behind it; the wifi supplying access to my iPads for Yamaha, Ion, and QLab remote control in both control booths. Nothing can get in from outside, and while it's not *completely* protected from people on it going *out*, the majority of those have been using Macs, which are less likely to be good targets. Should I have a separate WLAN for that kind of access? Yeah, probably.

The only real problem is if your campus enables the -- I'm told illegal -- Wifi-stomping feature on its own Wifi networks.

In an update:
I convinced my IT Department to allow us to have an Isolated WAP to connect our Gateways and Ion... Whew...
Hook up is going well.

Interesting question for you folks, The old Ion was whisper quiet, the new one sounds like a busy Swamp. Is there a clever way to quiet the fan/ replace it with a Noctua or something without voiding the warranty?

What is the new Ion? IonXE? or another Ion Classic?

There are only two fans in Ion Classics. A CPU fan and heatsink, and the Power Supply fan. That being said, if it is an XP console, then there is a hard drive in there as well.

It's been a hot minute since I've had an XE open, but I think there are only two small fans again as well. CPU and a PSU.

Our light board definitely is not operating as a DHCP "server". We're actually using static IP's for our appliances (boards, streaming pc, cameras), and save the DHCP for wireless clients.

Here's a diagram. Note that this is entirely a self-contained network for the performing arts center. The only link to the 'internet' is through the Streaming PC, which has two network ports, and the 'Mac', which is just a computer that has spotify and youtube and is plugged in non-ethernet to the sound board and projector.

The cameras definitely don't need to be on the same network as the boards, but it's convenient and our streaming platform supports using a smartphone on that network as a camera.

Also note that the light board has two network ports, one to this private PAC network, and one going to the lighting network. When it comes to crosstalk, we definitely don't want our lighting devices competing with our streaming video cameras.

1630521985105.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back