Light Board is Dead Two Days Before Open (Any Ideas?)

CatieO

Hey All!

So, here's a fun story for your Monday afternoon: My theatre troupe is nomadic, and this year we built our space in a restored department store. The owners of the building generously bought us a lighting package to use, which is wonderful in ways I can't begin to express.

However.
The lighting package arrived on March 16th. I had to wait for the electricians to wire the truss and get everything set up, so the dimmers and the lighting board were set up on the 20th.

The lighting board that came with the package is an Elation Scene Setter 48. It worked on Tuesday and Wednesday when I was programming the lights, and then on Saturday, when we wanted to run tech, it wouldn't turn on. I tried about 10 different outlets. No luck. I tried a new power cord. No luck. I tried pushing every button while weeping openly over the dead carcass of my twice-used lighting board and that didn't work either.

Our show opens on Thursday.

Of course, this happened over the weekend, so I finally got a hold of someone at Elation this morning, who transferred me to someone who transferred me to someone who tranferred me to someone....

After all of this, I basically got told "sorry, there's nothing we can do for you by Thursday, the best you can do is send it in and we'll send you a new one when we get around to it".

Awesome.

A local school is getting back to me about lending me theirs, but in the interim, does anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong/how to make the bastard turn on? My other concern is that if it is an issue with the wiring that caused the fuse to pop, is there a way that I can check the outlet to make sure the voltage is correct before I blow another perfectly good light board?

Last edited:
A replacement Scene Setter shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of locally. Have you tried contacting every Guitar Center/DJ supply store in your area? They might even exchange the old unit for a new one as long as they can get credit from Elation. After this show is over with, you may consider selling the Scene Setter and replacing it with something more appropriate. On a budget, you might have to settle for something more basic (non-programmable scenes), but at least it'd be more reliable. It was a very nice gesture for the property owners to buy you a lighting system! I don't know that I'd tell them about this unit failing or whether or not you plan on replacing the console.

A replacement Scene Setter shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of locally. Have you tried contacting every Guitar Center/DJ supply store in your area? They might even exchange the old unit for a new one as long as they can get credit from Elation. After this show is over with, you may consider selling the Scene Setter and replacing it with something more appropriate. On a budget, you might have to settle for something more basic (non-programmable scenes), but at least it'd be more reliable. It was a very nice gesture for the property owners to buy you a lighting system! I don't know that I'd tell them about this unit failing or whether or not you plan on replacing the console.

That was my first line of defense-- apparently the 48 model is sold out, period. A very, very nice guy from Guitar Center spent a good hour on the phone with me looking for a model they could trade me, but there is nothing in their warehouse(s) that would ship in time for Thursday. The company rep I spoke to said that if they did have one in stock it would be as simple as brining in my old one and swapping, but since that's not an option currently, we are making do.
I am still very impressed with the building owners as well-- what an excellent gift of supporting the arts! We let them know what is going on and they were very understanding and told me that they trusted me to handle it, so at least I don't need to be looking for an extra 700 bucks to replace this one!!

You could also ask a local theater group for help or just rent a board. Just remember that if your replacement board is a high quality unit, it will come with a 5 pin DMX connector. You'll need an adapter to go to your low end 3 pin stuff.

Good catch, DrPinto. Yes, don't forget that adapter if you end up renting a loaner (which seems to be the best option as of now). I'll bet your local rental/theatrical supply house will have a 2-scene board kicking around for you to rent. Be sure to state that you need a DMX board, and that your dimmers are 3-pin (so they get you that adapter!)

Does that run DMX 512 protocol?

Yes, it does. I threw that out there in case the OP is unaware of the control protocol they are using. I'd hate for them to tell the rental house "3-pin" and end up with an NSI running Microplex. CatieO sounds savvy enough that I don't think this would be an issue (and surely a rental house would do a thorough job of qualifying the client and sending them away with something compatible to their system), but it's good to cover all bases.

If the unit just does not power on, try the fuse if it is accessible. Take it out, use a VOM, set it to test continuity and test the fuse. I'm sure if its new, Elation doesnt want you opening the thing, otherwise you could take it to a repair guy if you know of anyone that could push you through the line at minimal cost. (might be an easy fix)

If that is not the case, an equivalent rental will be your best bet.

If you want to drive 3 hours :)grin:) towards Chicago, I bet I could source you a scene setter....

Those Scene setters are pretty indestructible little things for a cheap board. Got two of the 48's myself. I'm surprised it isn't just a dead wall-wart. If you tried another one, make sure the barrel connector was the same type. So many different designs on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back