Light booth schwag?

Charc

I am in the process of cleaning up, organizing, and arranging the light booth, catwalks, and elec. storage. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for some important or cool schwag to keep in the light booth. I started a mini tech. theatre library. Two lighting books, The Backstage Handbook. I stuck a rosco gel swatchbook in there. I created the "Lighting Binder". A 2 inch zip binder which includes 2 different tutorials for our board, a quick reference sheet, several "Cheat Sheets", blueprints of the cats, rosco gobo catalogue, rosco guide to color filter, extra paper, pencils. I'm trying to think of things that are needed, and should be kept in the booth. Mini-fridge aside, do many of you guys store things like gobos in the booth? I was thinking about storing all my elec. stuff in elec. storage (an unlocked fire escape stairwell. Unfortunately that means organizing all of paint storage (grr, who blocked the barndoors with matte black paint?). So are there anythings you guys just couldn't live without in your booth? Anything that would make life easier for both the experienced user, and the novice alike? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Charlie

Here is the booth, in the worst picture ever. I am standing in the doorway, it's about 4 feet wide, and about 6 feet deep.

proxy.php

First off, which desk is that, it looks like a Marquee but I really can't tell from the picture...Things I always like to have in the booth: Music stand for script binder, pens, pencils, sharpies, tape (specifically gaph and board tape) catalogues from all major lighting manufactures (instruments, consoles, and expendables alike), a list of important phone numbers from the console manufactuer tech support line to the # of the local fire dept., file cabinet for gel storage, 3" binder w/ floppy disc pages to store gobos, circuit diagram and plot of current show taped up on back wall for easy access, several copies of the "rep" patch and board configuration disc in case something gets screwy or rerecorded, gobo rotatores, power supplies, basically anything expensive you don't want to end up in the wrong hands, can of black spray paint, basic electrical tools, handful of c-wrenches and speed wrenches, rubber mallet, 20' length of back sash (you never know)....that's about what I can think of that's in my booth...it changes though show to show....good luck

Looks like a Strand 300 Jezza.

If you don't want to store your gobos in a binder try a large recipie box or notecard box with dividers... all kinds of cool options at Staples/Office Depot/Office Max

If you've got some money, a couple of Rosco Color Media storage drawers are nice. Each unit has three larger drawers capable of holding uncut sheets of gel. They run about $60 each unit.

Get yourself one of those giant old school papercuter boards for cutting gel.

I like installing peg board on the wall for hanging cable and other stuff. There's all kinds of space up there that isn't being used that peg board opens up to you.

Post your rep plot on the wall, with a laminated copy or two available for your technicians to use.

Do you have decent subdued lighting for in show use? If not buy some colored rope light and string it up around the walls of the booth.

"rep plot" is the standard hang configuration for your theater. The default for lighting. What goes up after the plot for a show is struck, often used for smaller shows and shows that just require general lighting that a rep plot can provide. Short for repertory plot.

I have always wanted a rep plot, or at least a circuit diagram, printed and hung on the wall behind a piece of plexiglass. This way, notes can be made on it with dry erase markers to make quick notes, and then erased after. For instance, if fixtures are moved from the house plot, or recircuited, notes can be made on it so you can easily reference it and know what to change back after the show.

That and it looks cool.

I have always wanted a rep plot, or at least a circuit diagram, printed and hung on the wall behind a piece of plexiglass. This way, notes can be made on it with dry erase markers to make quick notes, and then erased after. For instance, if fixtures are moved from the house plot, or recircuited, notes can be made on it so you can easily reference it and know what to change back after the show.
That and it looks cool.

That's why I like a copy of the rep plot that is laminated because you can write on it with dry erase or over head pen and haul it around with you in the catwalks.

Last edited:
Haha, er, we don't do rep plots here. We go from show to show bitching and moaning in between because not a single instrument hits the musician U.S.R.

As Jezza said, you can't go wrong with catalogs. If you find a theater equipment website, and they offer a hard catalog, ask for it. Can't go wrong with having a hard copy at your theater, they're great learning materials (for yourself and others, keep abreast of developments!) and are good to have. Don't forget rental catalogs from your regular suppliers.

Other than that, I've always wanted to pimp out my lighting booth, y'know, install strobes, police lights, and all that. But permanent install, with recessed spaces for everything, so everything looks normal, until...BAM! Rave in the booth.

Speaking of really nice chairs....take a look. Scrounged out of the security office next to the spot booth.
proxy.php

We also occasionally put our smaller soundboard in there connected to a Yamaha to better hear what's going on on stage.
proxy.php

Complete with my friend and LD Schmous.

Speaking of really nice chairs....take a look. Scrounged out of the security office next to the spot booth.
proxy.php

We also occasionally put our smaller soundboard in there connected to a Yamaha to better hear what's going on on stage.
proxy.php

Complete with my friend and LD Schmous.
How new is that theater?
How are the parnels?
Which followspots are those?
Why isn't my theater that cool?
Oh well, I'm off to my lame theater.

I don't know how old it is, pretty new.
The PARnels are new ETC Source4 PARnels.
The Followspots are two Strong Super Trouper III Longthrows.
I don't know why your theatre isn't cooler. Sorry.

Last edited:
I attempt to keep the booth itself devoid of fancy lighting or interesting antecdotes written on the walls a. so that visiting LDs and administrators don't have to see it and b. so that people actually concentrate during the show...the booth is for wok...however our "loft" which doubles as instrument storage, is quite another story....couches, armchairs, christmas lights, black lights, rope light, in addition to all the cable, S4s and all the roadcases from whatever show we are currently in the middle of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back