Light controller for small traveling band

Paleus

Hey,

I am looking for advice on a lighting controller for a 4-piece traveling worship band. We are planning to buy 4 Chauvet Intimidator LED 250 moving head fixtures and a few (probably 4 or more) LED par64s. We are running into questions we can't answer relating to what controller to use. We are on a tight budget and will not be able to spend $5k on a lighting desk. Personally I would like to have a physical desk and not use just software but we are open to anything as we haven't bought anything yet. Any help anyone here can provide will be great. Thanks in advance.

Who will run it? Even if everything is programmed via midi, you still need to spend an hour or two per show updating focus points, etc.

We have people that travel with us to run sound, lights, and media. Worst case, our sound guy can reach over and hit next to go to the next cue. I've been looking at Cham-Sys MagicQ. It seems to be the most affordable solution.

Paleus, I sent you a PM.

If it were me, I would go fo something tactile and straight forward to run. If the sound guy is really running the cues, I would look for a unit with an audio in that can trigger cueing as the sound guy will almost always default to doing sound and forget about the board in the middle of the song. There are many ways of doing this and doing it in a tight package with minimal setup time.

One thing that appeals to me about MagicQ is that I can use the visualizer to design the shows myself at home and then set up where we can just advance through the cues. Our set up would be nearly identical at every show.

Just remember that, as mentioned above, that you cant just load in automatically have your show done. You've gotta update your focus palettes to make sure everything is going where it needs to

I manufacture the BlueLite X1 controllers so I'm biased. You can download the software for free and it's only $399 for the 1 Universe X1-Mini. In addition to having control via your PC/laptop, you can connect any DMX console to use as an external control surface to control the BlueLite's Submasters (check out the tutorial video on our home page). You'll also want to glance at the Live Panel console (it's part of the software) that allows you to recall saved cue sequences using MIDI controllers. I've tested control using a Korg nanoKontroller, an Akai APC40 [using the MIDI remapping software - MIDI-OX], and an old Yamaha keyboard. Other users have connected their MIDI drum kits for control as well. We even offer the iPanel app (free) for using your mobile device as a control surface. As long as you don't confuse yourself, you could simultaneously use multiple control techniques (e.g. a lighting operator on a DMX console, the musician's MIDI equiment triggering cues [think drum solo], and/or an iPAD set up next to the guitar or keyboard player allowing them access to LivePanel control as well.
PM, e-mail or call and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back