Light duty travel case for Strand NEO console recommendations

NickVon

Looking for a better way on a budget to transport and store a Strand Neo Console. No monitors or wings, just the base console. listed at 31.0"x 5.1"x 19.5" I've not found any Pelican, Condition 1, or Seahorse cases that fit it. It doesne't need to be truck Travel/Airline tough. Just moved around venue and back of car kind a of protection. I'm almost leaning on just a large Rubbermade/Sterlite case but something with wheels and some form of "water proof'ness/ drop resistant'ness" would be ideal. The org has no more then about 300$.

Currently it is stored in it's packaging, when in the storage unit, and transported.

Thoughts

Have you searched the audio road case world like: Georgia Case or Calzone/Anvil cases? There must be something designed for mixers that you can tweak to fit your needs. Both of those could definitely build you a custom one but it would not be cheap.

Looking for a better way on a budget to transport and store a Strand Neo Console. No monitors or wings, just the base console. listed at 31.0"x 5.1"x 19.5" I've not found any Pelican, Condition 1, or Seahorse cases that fit it. It doesn't need to be truck Travel/Airline tough. Just moved around venue and back of car kind a of protection. I'm almost leaning on a large Rubbermade/Sterlite case but something with wheels and some form of "water proof'ness/ drop resistant'ness" would be ideal. The org has no more then about 300$.

Currently it is stored in it's packaging, when in the storage unit, and transported.

Thoughts
Have you considered light duty transit cases intended for synthesizer keyboards?
The first five or six Google found were all currently unavailable; perhaps something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Duty...ion-MiniNova-37-Key-Synthesizer-/351101983975 which appears to be available.
Visiting a few local music stores, with a tape measure in hand, could be a starting point.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Check this out - SKB and Gator both make a lot if different size audio mixer cases, this is the best match I could find (there is a smaller SKB one, but the width dimension is too close - not enough clearance for proper padding).

ETA - here's an offering from Gator as well, not as durable but it doesn't sound like you need bulletproof protection.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'll second what @RonHebbard suggested. Synthesizer keyboard cases are much, much less expensive than road cases for lighting consoles. You can usually find one in very close to the right size, then fill up the excess space with pluck foam -- or, if it's oversized enough, accessories like power cubes, keyboard and mouse, etc. My Leprecon 1536 travels in a case designed for an 88-key keyboard, that has a separate compartment for the Littlite, spare DMX and power cable, and writing tools. (I haven't touched it in over a decade, since you ask.)

Depending on your usage, you may also find soft-sided cases that suffice, which are in turn much less expensive, too.

" . . . Just moved around venue and back of car kind a of protection . . . . "

Get one (or a couple) sheets of 1" Styrofoam insulation, some double ply corrugated cardboard (salvaged from old shipping boxes), your razor knife and some packing tape. Spend an hour or so and make a box--the size of your console + 1-1/4" in all dimensions. Line it with the faced Styrofoam. It'll cost you $3 +/- and you can replace it a dozen times before the console is obsolete for less than the cost of those pricey cases which, if you buy one, won't fit anything else.

(But remember what an old, very wise, tech director used to say: "The hardest thing in the world to build is a box.")

+1 for @JonCarter 's idea, but maybe instead of the corrugated cardboard, consider coroplast, maybe with either plastic or aluminum angle for the corners, sort of like how road cases are made. In fact, some of the light weight road cases are made using standard hardware and extrusions and coroplast instead of birch ply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back