Light inventory rules of thumb...

Doug Lowthian

I know the answer to this is 'hire a professional to put together a proposal" but, I like to be informed of basic industry rules of thumb before I talk to a professional.

My question is what is recommended basic lighting set up for a theatrical stage set up.

Details:

Acting area is about 50 x 25, procenium stage. height from stage floor to light battans is about 14 feet.
Currently there are 3 electricals with 60 Chaveat DJ Slimpar 64 RBGA LEDs. (Purchased before my involvement) About 50 feet from teh stage, along the front of the balcony are 10 spots (8 old Colortrans and 2 new Colorsource Zooms LED)

We currently have no side lighting of any kind. Nor do we have any Cyc lighting or footlights.

We have an ETC element 40. Both wired and wireless dimmers.

We do 3 or 4 theatrical productions, 8-12 bands and 3-4 dance recitals, a year as well as lectures, candidate forums etc.

The whole set up is OK, but not great (in my partially informed opinon)

Thoughts to make me seem informed should a pro come in and tell us what we really need?

Thanks in advance.

If you do bring someone in make sure that they have no say in who you purchase the light from. A local church that we occasionally rent gear to recently got screwed over this way. Wouldn't you know it all the products they recommended happened to be from companies that they were dealers of. They even happened to have most of it in stock. Now they have enough 14* s4's to give everyone in the band 5 or 6 specials and not enough 26* and 36* to make a couple of solid stage washes. They also have enough LED wash fixture overhead to cover the stage 3x over.

Some ideas of a basic minimum that is basically describing the school that got me started in this career:

Enough FOH fixtures to have a smooth warm and cool front wash hung and circuited at the same time (cool light can look good, but parents want to see smiling faces).
A few fixtures for some kind of diagonal light. From a cove or a box boom from the front as well as from the sides of the overhead electrics.
Enough cool and warm wash fixtures overhead to cover the stage well (preferably at the same to, but if I have to let circuits go I start there).
A few extra fixtures and circuits for specials (We had permanent ungelled, 750W, down specials DSC, CC, and USC and they where used constantly).
For dance productions wheel out some weighted stands to put in the wings to allow for shins and side light as well as the circuits to support them.

For me, this is a drawing board exercise, laying out a repretory plot, starting of course with what you have. Front, top, back, side, etc.

Don't forget follow spots. Can't be beat for one-time events. And hardware - boom bases, side arms, cables, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back