Light Jockey/Strand 520

There isn't a way to slave the 520 directly no. You could get xConnect and run the 520 from a laptop.

Or you can input DMX from Lightjockey (don't know enough about your rig, but I assume that you have no 5 pin outputs) into the 520.

These would be your only choices I believe.

You could try sending DMX from LJ to the 520, you have to set the DMX ports on the 520 to DMX IN as opposed to the normal DMX OUT. Then I think you would have to patch each incoming DMX address to a channel on the 520. I don't know if this setup will let the 520 just pass the DMX, or if you actually would have to capture (i.e. record the cues) on the 520 to make it work. I have never tried this before, but I know that you can do DMX in to the 520, so it is worth a shot.

LJ WILL accept dmx in. All you need is the correct cable, which would likely be 5 pin male on both ends, and the two universe Universal USB dongle. Then you have to make the appropriate setting changes in LJ.

HOWEVER, LJ had/has some signal lag when doing this. Last time I did it was with version 2.7.6 I think, and there was a noticeable lag when we brought a dimmer up. When going straight from the slave board to the dimmer rack, it did not occur. They may have corrected this in the most recent version, or it could be you need to adjust the refresh rate on the slave board (which I wasn't able to do).

Going the opposite direction should be possible if the Strand accepts dmx in. All you'll need is a cable.

I was thinking about using an ETC 24/48 as a through on a strand 430 for a show last year because I kept running out of subs and fader pairs (yes- I did want to run 3 cues at once- 2 being FX) as well as use a 2nd op for some of the manual bumps. (This was a dance show.) However it didn't quite happen because of time constraints and then the 430 crashed the next week-- I guess I was lucky. I figure had I tried to push the console to do that it would have crashed midweek taking half our show with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back