Light Plot Software

If you are a student, i would recomend paying thd $150 to get the student version of vectorworks, its much better then the FULL PRICE version of it.

simchapup said:
i need to do a 2d version from above

Well, Vectorworks and WYSIWYG both allow for this. Capture is more of a pre-viz program and thus its plotting capabilities are limited.

Personally, I'd go with VW, as someone said, you get a student pricing for $150 and its the industry standard (yeah, we can argue with this, but 95% of our plots come off VW). I've never seen a demo of VectorWorks though.

If you're brave you can try AutoCAD, but its not thought out for lighting at all.

Inaki2 said:
If you're brave you can try AutoCAD, but its not thought out for lighting at all.

With LD assistant it is... but by the time you get that you might as well get vectorworks... but the nice thing about LD assistant is that most TD's use AutoCAD, as well as set designers... so you can have everything in one nice package...

I tried LD assistant, and its still a bit cumbersome. Don't get me wrong, I love AutoCAD, and I agree with what you say with TDs and set designers. Although I'm seeing them switch as well to VW lately.

i still draft using a pencil and paper. i feel i have a more hands on approach to my design. but I use lightwrite for all my paper work. if you what a comp program I would go with vector works for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back