Light Rig power

Tnewman

I’m looking at installing a light rig approx 30 feet in the air I want to be able to lower the light rig to work on the lights. How to I manage the power cable?

I was looking at just doing a cable pulley system. But I’m not against looking at a motorized rig system.
Queries:
1; How many pipes?
2; Over the stage??
3; Over the Patrons???
4; Cross stage pipes / parallel to your proscenium, or at 90 degrees to your prosc'????
5; How long per pipe?????
6; How many instruments per pipe??????
7; Fixed focus instruments or mover / shakers???????
8; How heavy per pipe????????
9; 120 volt / single circuit per instrument?????????
10; Any / how many 208 / 220 volt circuits??????????
11; Any / how many dimmed circuits???????????
12; Any / how many non-dimmed circuits????????????
13; What / which control protocols?????????????
14; How will you handle supply / distribution of control signals??????????????
15; Have / will you consider wireless DMX control???????????????
Think POSITIVE.
Test NEGATIVE.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

It would be over patrons
looking at 1 pipe about 15-20 feet long
Holding approx 8 lights that would be fix focus
We would be running DMX Cable for control. And just need constant power

I worry about a pulley system supporting pipe load over the audience ... so will your insurance company I bet. Issues with tie-off, dynamic load capacity, unauthorized or untrained people trying to lower it.

@Tnewman -
just a few things you haven't asked, but I hope you have considered:
1) are you sure you can daisy chain 8 to 12 fixtures together? Read the OEM's spec sheets carefully as all fixtures have a max amperage pass-thru allowance. Just because they're LED doesn't mean you can loop through as many as you want and unlike excessive DMX hosts, too many LED fixture loads will cause you problems a lot faster.
2) assuming 20 feet of pipe are you looking at 3 or 4 lifting lines, do you have the structure overhead to support those lines/loads?
3) assuming you have the overhead structure to support the lifting lines in a wire rope/pulley system - do you have the off-stage space for head block/mule blocks and winches?

Also - just out of curiosity, is this a production-specific installation or do you intend to leave it in the space as a permanent device? If permanent, be absolutely sure that you're not shortcutting and that anyone coming into the space after you will find a clear and obvious operation (i.e. be sure to design with safety factors.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back