Light Sync to Camera Flash Sound

But to get back to the original question: Are your actors the ones with the camera(s) taking the pictures? What is the period of the show? ('20s? '40's? 60's? '80s? Other?) How about giving them cameras w/flashes or strobes appropriate to the period and letting them shoot away? (The KISS principle.)

During the run of a show, we've found little need to have the sound and lighting computers connected to the WWW. Internal network, yes, but not to the outside. That avoids the update issue altogether.
This is exactly what we did. Machines only connected to internet for brief periods between shows to get new sound files, etc. Still didn't avoid the update foul up.

When we did "The Thrill of Love" we just used a sound track that was sort of loosely synced with flashes which, given they were 50's era, wouldn't have been sharp, xenon flashes, so we just had some spots flash from various directions and angles to give the impression of flash bulbs from off.

I think you are overthinking this. Some sort of random flashing effect on the light board, a sound cue of the same length, and a little practice pressing go on both devices at the same time. As long as there are a lot of flashes going on the audience won't be able to differentiate which flash is which click sound. A little visual chaos and nobody will notice the difference. If you are really picky you could have a start cue and a stop cue so you are sure both effects stop running at the same time. But I don't think people will notice if things are not perfectly synced, especially if they are getting blinded by the lights.

I always like to say, if someone notices that this a small tech detail is wrong, there is something very wrong with the rest of the show.
I totally agree with your statement. If people will be picking on minor stiff the show in general must be bad. If the show is good, people will forgive minor hiccups or even major tech mishaps. I incline towards the solution of firing the strobes and the sound separately. Each of the DMX lights we will use have a built-in strobe mode. We will hopefully have one guy in charge of sound and another one looking after lights. Them two sitting next to each other can fire this off on 1-2-3 I guess.. I was just thinking making it a little bit 21st century and firing on a push of one button.

Nevertheless, I very much appreciate everybody's input; it has been very educating!

I totally agree with your statement. If people will be picking on minor stiff the show in general must be bad. If the show is good, people will forgive minor hiccups or even major tech mishaps. I incline towards the solution of firing the strobes and the sound separately. Each of the DMX lights we will use have a built-in strobe mode. We will hopefully have one guy in charge of sound and another one looking after lights. Them two sitting next to each other can fire this off on 1-2-3 I guess.. I was just thinking making it a little bit 21st century and firing on a push of one button.

Nevertheless, I very much appreciate everybody's input; it has been very educating!
@Dibio There are two pole normally open pushbuttons.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Hello. Can anyone suggest a solution to my little project? I need to create an illusion of multiple camera flashes firing and sync it to the corresponding sound. The idea is to imitate a red carpet photo shoot. Any ideas how that can be accomplished?
Try this !
Hello. Can anyone suggest a solution to my little project? I need to create an illusion of multiple camera flashes firing and sync it to the corresponding sound. The idea is to imitate a red carpet photo shoot. Any ideas how that can be accomplished?
Try this ! https://www.frightprops.com/picoboo-plus.html

The PC I use for Audio playback hasn't been on the internet in 6 years. It yells at me every time I boot up claiming it's an illegal copy because it's been so long. But it's a clean reliable install of Windows 7 that runs perfectly every time.
Try a few egg strobes

I've never had a problem with Windows and SCS. Now, I do turn off updates and shutdown all non-essential processes including wifi, etc... The PC we use is essentially dedicated to SCS as the sound computer
"turn off updates"?

You can do that now?

Reliably?

"turn off updates"?

You can do that now?

Reliably?
There's a "de-bloat Windows 10" script that runs in an Admin PowerShell. Among other things it allows edits to group policy to turn off automatic update checks. It's a powerful script, you can hose a Windows installation to the point of making it nearly unusable, so there's that...

Idk about y'all, but I think you haven't truly lived til you've run an update preshow and sat watching the "Please don't restart the computer" screen stuck at 30% as people are walking in. Makes a man feel alive.

Idk about y'all, but I think you haven't truly lived til you've run an update preshow and sat watching the "Please don't restart the computer" screen stuck at 30% as people are walking in. Makes a man feel alive.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

There's a "de-bloat Windows 10" script that runs in an Admin PowerShell. Among other things it allows edits to group policy to turn off automatic update checks. It's a powerful script, you can hose a Windows installation to the point of making it nearly unusable, so there's that...
Got a link or a copy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back